Helmet on or helmet off...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Been to college camps and almost all teach you Keep It Own. In response to why not take it off. As a coach I have seen many catcher's step on it, as the ball floats back where they dropped it. Twisted ankle. Lose the ball as they take the mask off. Just 2 good reasons.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Keep the mask on!

I always want my catchers to keep thier mask on. With the newer style masks and the visibility they provide... There's no good argument to remove it. There is however, a very good argument for leaving it on. See the attached picture.

Chaz @ Advanced Catching Concepts

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
Mike Candrea stresses to coaches to teach catchers to keep the hockey style masks ON!
(saying that, I've watched Cali Balko when playing at U of A remove hers, but thats because of years of habit.)

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
One more reason to keep mask on. The DD took an elbow to the cheek that knocked her mask off and sent it flying! Saved her jaw and her new braces. :)

PS She also got the out!

Dec 15, 2009
I am a catcher and was taught to take the helmet off. By taking the helmet off you will be able to locate the ball better and when you retrieve the ball you will be able to see the whole field much better. When you still have the helmet on and you turn around with the ball you feel panicky and under a lot of pressure to make a play.....but if you have the helmet off, you are much more calmer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying