Helmet on or helmet off...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
My daughter never takes her helmet off as a catcher. She is always ready( maybe eager ) for a collision at home plate and if the other player is coming in with a helmet and there is head to head contact, I'd hate to be the one not wearing a helmet.

I think the nature of the field dimensions and size of the ball change the effective time and range to field a pop up at the plate for softball vs baseball. Seems to me whenever i watch a baseball game there are pop-ups that hang in the air forever. Also seems like there is much more room at baseball fields behind the plate. Softball most of the catchable pop-ups seem to be within about one step of the plate and there is no time to whip the mask off and reacquire the ball.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Working with catchers in a clinic from Team USA. All told the kids to leave the mask on!. The new Hockey Style Helments allow you to have good vision. Sometimes it hard to change things we were taught years ago with different equipment.

Jan 25, 2009
My daughter is starting her third year catching - she started when she was eight. Her helmet allows her to keep it on when looking for pop flies, however no helmet is going to give 100% mobility and vision when looking up and around at the same time. So her coach has suggested her to take off her helmet when catching pop flies. She wears a mouthguard for this reason. Some people could not understand why I made her wear a mouthguard since she had her helmet on, but I work in the dental industry and was adament about this. She has one that allows her to speak (yell) to the team during the game - it took a little getting used to, but now she can yell orders to the team with the mouthguard in and they understand her fine. So if you are throwing off the helmet, protect your teeth! As far as the other parts of your face, just be careful!! Even the most experienced catchers get caught off guard once in a while!

Jun 20, 2008
40 now, but when I was younger, I started with taking the mask off. One year I was asked to play on a top travel team. First time coach saw me take my mask off, he made it very clear to me that it should never come off. If I can see a ball coming at me from a pitcher throwing 60, I should be able to see a pop fly or a ball coming from a fielder. He was right and in turn, it made me a more aggressive catcher. Wasn't so worried about fences and such anymore. Keep the mask on!!!

May 9, 2008
My DD has been catching for years. I've told her to only take it off on a pop fly if she can't find the ball. So far since I don't coach her any more no one has told her any different. She rarely takes it off. On that note, I don't understand why so many baseball players insist on teaching young catchers to take the helmet off ALL the time. I was keeping score in a LL Minors BB tourney and noticed that the catcher would take the helmet off to THROW to 2nd base!!! Why!! It just doesn't make sense to me.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
Candrea Clinic in Arizona: (keep in mind, Coach Candrea is head coach of U of A, 8 yrs National Champs and Team USA Olympic coach), Coach Candrea says keep the helmet ON, new one piece-solid masks......

EJL

Jun 24, 2008
Emmetsburg, Ia
Keep it on! I say that now, I just wish I had said that 2 weeks ago. My DD catcher attempted a pick off at third. Runner headed home. My DD had her helmet off waiting for the throw. Throw comes from 3rd and skips off the top of the runner's helmet, directly to the bridge of my DD's nose. Lots of blood, expensive trip to the ER, a deviated septum, and a broken nose later taught us a good lesson. I never want to see my daughter like that again just because I've always taught her to take her helmet off. She leaves it on now. Lesson learned.

As a side note, some of our infielders who witnessed the incident have decided it might not be a bad idea to get a fielder's mask.

Ed

May 5, 2008
I've never tried the new hockey masks and caught only when I was younger. However, with so many people saying that you can see pretty well with it on, I would also encourage leaving it on in just about every situation.

I think most catchers feel comfortable with it on since it is their equipment that they are in all the time. HOWEVER, if they are uncomfortable having it on on a pop up or on a passed ball (where they are not in danger of an incoming runner), then I would let them take it off for these situations.

It does make sense that less pounding on the helmet would also enable the helmet to protect better for longer.

My husband also told our oldest DD to keep the mask ON if she was awaiting a play at the plate. He wanted her as fully protected as possible from that incoming runner.

May 7, 2008
practice too...

I agree - leave it on. With very few exceptions, I have my catchers wear their gear during most everything we do during IF workouts as well. It may seem like overkill at times, but the younger girls, in particular, need to learn to function with that stuff on. It completely eliminates that baloney of "if I had my stuff on, I would have caught that ball/made that play...." In addition (and I freely admit this may just be my perception), I think it may add a certain degree of authority and confidence to the catcher that adds to her performance.

Jun 7, 2009
Byron Ny
for the first quote, i am a catcher and why wouldnt you take it off. Its not like your gonna get hit and it would make it easier to catch a pop up behind them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802