Leave Your Helmet ON!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Am I the only one that thinks the players wearing cloth face masks is unusual? Is her coach making them wear them?

These are unusual times.

Our team policy is facemasks for catchers, batters, and IFs (when a runner is on base). The players also wear them outside the fence. When we can, we spread them out in the bleachers, rather than stuff them together in the dugout. Some teams do it the same. Some don't. We do what we think is right for us.

Jun 19, 2016
These are unusual times.

Our team policy is facemasks for catchers, batters, and IFs (when a runner is on base). The players also wear them outside the fence. When we can, we spread them out in the bleachers, rather than stuff them together in the dugout. Some teams do it the same. Some don't. We do what we think is right for us.
I think DD would have a revolt if she has to do that. In Texas, OK, and AR you will not even find face masks among the spectators. The local county judge (mayor of the country) threw a fit about it but he can't do anything about it.

Apr 5, 2020
We occasionally run into coaches advising catchers to toss their masks on every play— my son had one of those collisions at the plate and ever since, we’ve instructed our catchers to keep the brain-bucket on except for popups at the plate.

With my DD and our organization’s catching squad, we deliberately spend some time on the “why” to get our point across. On a pop-up, you don’t know where the ball is, and you require full vision (direct and peripheral) to find the ball and attack it. On a play at the plate, the catcher should have sight of the ball the entire time— with the improved vision of modern helmets, keeping sight of the ball is much better, and any improved vision doesn’t outweigh the risks associated with the play. Keeping the helmet on protects against the collision, but also with the last-ditch block if a ball takes a bad hop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee