Height, Weight, Pop times, Pitch Speed, Baserunning Times

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I don't know who came up with the info on this chart but it seems to have been pulled out of the air. I took a look at 4 Division 1 rosters. Just the first 4 schools that came to mind.
There were 8-10 girls on each roster at 5'6" or less. The shortest girl I saw was 4'10" and a couple of others at 5'2". On these 4 rosters there were a total of 4 pitchers at 5'6" or less.
I don't follow college softball as much as some do but I think I looked at 4 schools that have some credibility. University of Michigan, University of Alabama, University of Arizona and Arizona State have some decent programs and are probably indicative of what is going on at higher levels of college softball.

Good job China covering for our laziness! My point exactly. And I would say this was typical of the teams I coached.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
The player mentioned was a pitcher in HS and is NOT a pitcher in college. She is an infielder now who slaps. That is proof enough for me. I stood next the players at my alma mater and I did not come up to their shoulders, so I am not sure where you guys are looking. Girls stop growing around 13-14.

Screwball, that is an illogical fallacy! What percentage of HS pitchers pitch in DI ball? Or any Div. of college ball for that matter? The girl wasn't good enough, but not because of her height! But not only that, she might have just been better as an offensive player. Look at Amanda Freed. She pitched at UCLA in college but didn't pitch for the Olympic Teams. She wasn't good enough probably, but played RF and hit well. She was an even more versatile player than Jenny Finch. She pulled her load in another way.

Aug 19, 2011
If I told you who she was, you would change your mind about her.

That's tantalizing, but whatever the circumstances of her switch from pitching to slapping, she's only one point on the curve. My dd's first pitching instructor pitched for Pitt and was barely taller than my 5' 10yo dd. Certainly size can be an advantage, and has the further advantage of being obvious, but attitude, agility, mental toughness, and so on are advantages, too, and have ways of showing up.

It would be easy to believe that college coaches have blinders that keep them from seeing anything below 5'9", but the anecdotal evidence Chinamigarden provided would seem to argue the other direction. It would also be easy to believe that as the sport becomes more popular and more competitive a greater number of athletes participating would make it increasingly possible for coaches to select for size without giving up other desirable attributes. But even if that happens or is happening now, it's a trend, and I think we have to give the real, verifiable composition of current college rosters considerable weight when arguing the importance of height as it relates to recruiting.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
It would also be easy to believe that as the sport becomes more popular and more competitive a greater number of athletes participating would make it increasingly possible for coaches to select for size without giving up other desirable attributes. But even if that happens or is happening now, it's a trend, and I think we have to give the real, verifiable composition of current college rosters considerable weight when arguing the importance of height as it relates to recruiting.

And if the college coach is that naive, then let the cream float to the top! Someone else will have their eyes open. But I have never seen this OVERT bias. I know what is desired! I am teaching a girl 6'2" from Croatia who is 16. She may be 6'3" by the time she stops. She also plays 3rd base. She is very athletic and coordinated and plays good defense at third even on bunts (unusual indeed). She is going to be a monster of a pitcher if she can focus. But there is a boy on the junior national team she is dating, and it hasn't helped. I look at her and dream about what could be. I think all coaches would do the same. But I have a 5'8" 15 year old in Denmark that I would pitch before her right now, who doesn't throw quite as hard (1-2mph) but has other more important qualities. Reality rules the game!

Jul 26, 2010
Here's the thing: If a player can hit as well left as they can right, there is no advantage to hitting right. Just because a kid bats left, does not make them a slapper. Vicky Galindo is a natural righty that was taught to hit left at around 12, and always was a power hitter. She didn't even learn to slap until after the Beijing games.

These days, with the short strike zone and hot bats, it doesn't take much to be a "power hitter" from the left. It doesn't necessarily mean that hitting left is an automatic slapper. Being a power hitter from the left that can also short slap, power slap, and bunt is awesome, as the defense has no idea how to play those hitters.

-W

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Intrigued, I went looking at some college player heights (not all rosters list it). Most of the short players say throws R/bats L if that gives you an idea of what I am talking about.

I don't dispute what you have to say. I just think that chart that someone else made is full of errors and misperceptions. Such misperceptions that might discourage kids in ways they don't need.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Taylor Schlopy is pretty small and I remember on more than one occasion, seeing her come in from CF to pitch in the WCWS.
one of the commentators said that when Taylor was young, she attended a clinic where she met Lisa Fernandez. Lisa told her not to let anyone tell her she couldn't do something because of her size. when I watch her play I know she's not built like Jennie Finch, but I have no idea how tall she is or isn't. I just see one helluva ballplayer!

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Taylor Schlopy is pretty small and I remember on more than one occasion, seeing her come in from CF to pitch in the WCWS.
one of the commentators said that when Taylor was young, she attended a clinic where she met Lisa Fernandez. Lisa told her not to let anyone tell her she couldn't do something because of her size. when I watch her play I know she's not built like Jennie Finch, but I have no idea how tall she is or isn't. I just see one helluva ballplayer!

5'2" throws Right, bats Right

Feb 3, 2011
I just think we need to be realistic. You can overcome height with marketing yourself to the coach

From my home state, you could probably overcome height with being all-state, all-met, state champions, home run leader, etc. Otherwise you are going to go to a less than a top 100 school.
Is there something wrong with that? According to collegesportsscholarships.com, there are about 1600 college softball programs in the U.S.

Being realistic, that means 93% of college softball players will not be playing at top 100 schools.

If a top 20 or top 100 softball program doesn't want a shorter pitcher, who cares? I would bet any amount of money that the majority of college-bound girls playing youth softball have no dreams of getting into the best softball school possible in order to prepare for the pros. Everyone who is planning on it has her own reasons for wanting to play softball in college, but even many of those who have the ability, talent, or height to play for a top 100 program will choose to play for lower-profile programs.

My point is that there are plenty of college softball opportunities for players of all sizes and that the limitations you're talking about apply to only a small percentage of the available college slots anyway.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish