Heavy bat or light bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Here is a study on the question. He has done the math for you and makes nice graphs.

Bat Weight, Swing Speed and Ball Velocity

Regarding this graph ...

speed1.gif

Notice the 'red' "batted ball speed" curve. The 'red' curve doesn't drop off much after it peaks ... sort of flat. I interpret this to imply that those with a healthy swing are not as greatly impacted by a small increase in barrel weight.

Compare that graph to the following graph ....

speed2.gif

Notice how the 'red' curve drops off more sharply with increases in barrel weight. I interpret this to imply that those with an inferior swing ... arm swingers ... are more at the mercy of barrel weight.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I think Einstein put it best when he theorized that energy was created with mass and velocity. People assed that whole E=MC2 was about the speed of light, but it was really about softball bats.

Jul 4, 2012
Be careful with a heavy bat. DD worked out with a heavy bat last Dec and Jan, and we've been working ever since to keep her front shoulder from flying open early because of the habit it instilled of pulling the bat through the strikezone...

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Be careful with a heavy bat. DD worked out with a heavy bat last Dec and Jan, and we've been working ever since to keep her front shoulder from flying open early because of the habit it instilled of pulling the bat through the strikezone...

No one watched her swing for the two months she had a heavier bat?

Can you explain how a bat a few ounces heavier could take good mechanics and change it to pulling and bat dragging.

A lot of us had great success with heavier bats in the winter, but I can hear everyone now "I heard it will ruin your swing."

You been working since last January on it? I see posters on here posting video beating bug squishing and bat drag in a week or two, and you couldn't help her change this habit that "a bat" caused in almost a year?

Sorry, I get protective of good advice.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Personally I'm inclined to believe that you are making excuses for your daughter's non-ideal mechanics. I've cured such swing issues with heavy barrel workouts.

Without video it's difficult to say for sure. Does your daughter also step in the bucket ... i.e., step open somewhat? Stepping slightly open, and/or pulling with the lead shoulder, is often the result of a hitter finding an inappropriate means of generating power. It's a bad habit of initiating or fueling a swing. Often you'll find such a hitter fails to coil their hips and/or load the barrel appropriately. Such a hitter doesn't have a good sense of whip-like mechanics. They lack SnF mechanics. Quite frankly ... these are things that IMO are easiest to correct with the use of heavier barrels.

A heavy barrel alone won't cure issues. Good information, along with heavier barrels, will most certainly clear up many swing issues.

If you post a clip of your daughter's swing then there may be some folks here that will offer some swing advice.

Hope things work out well for your daughter.

Jul 4, 2012
Perhaps I should have been more specific about the bat and pardon my ignorance and cover-up of DD's poor swing mechanics. It wasn't a few ounces heavier; it was a men's softball bat (don't have it anymore, so I can't give the exact size). A hitting coach who recently worked with her made the diagnosis that the heavy bat last off-season caused her front shoulder to fly open. Evidently, it's taken this long to fix the problem because I'm not as "qualified" as you folks. Glad she has seen a hitting coach now.

I'll sit outside the forum fence from now on and simply read...

Oct 10, 2011
Hey move down your blocking my view;) I'm glad you posted your comments, it helps others. and theres beer in my cooler next to the fence, help yourself:cool:

This cracks me up because I regret putting almost everything I write on this forum. Yet, I still do it. To defend myself, I sometimes post when there's a little beer in the system.
Keep posting SoGa!

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
This cracks me up because I regret putting almost everything I write on this forum. Yet, I still do it. To defend myself, I sometimes post when there's a little beer in the system.
Keep posting SoGa!

I sometimes post when there isn't any beer in my system.

Actually I'm getting really fat, so gave up beer a month ago. Working on my belly drag.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
If I stopped posting for the 3rd time and counting (probably said I wasn't going to post again more times than that) after my panties got in a bunch. This place is addictive hard to give up like beer. I blame the beer for all my stupid post because I really am smart, I'm smart, I can do things (my Freddo speech). SoGASoftball, get off the fence and get back in the game. Its all good. I like FREE beer too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA