Heads up.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2014
Played in a Babe Ruth 12u world series this past weekend(what isn't a world series now days), teams were allowed to pitch their own balls without any checking by the umpires.

Feb 3, 2016
Had a team using Red Stitch Slow Pitch softballs against us in our last tournament game against them.
I handed it to the plate umpire and told him they could use our legal fastpitch softballs to pitch against us if they didn't have any legal balls to pitch us. That team just grabbed the ball and from the ump and took it back to the dugout.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Aug 25, 2019
Had a team using Red Stitch Slow Pitch softballs against us in our last tournament game against them.
I handed it to the plate umpire and told him they could use our legal fastpitch softballs to pitch against us if they didn't have any legal balls to pitch us. That team just grabbed the ball and from the ump and took it back to the dugout.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Wait, so do the stitches mean different things?....As an umpire, we always get two new balls to use, but on some fields near woods, they are quickly gone and we have the coaches supply balls. I usually get them first, if it feels good in my hand, I let them in, but I really don't inspect them properly (my bad). I only once threw out a squishy ball before it was used, and I believe I threw out a men's league softball, it was hard. I gotta remind myself to observe these balls more, thanks for the reminder.

Jun 7, 2019
In most of the games I’m doing, we NEVER get to touch the balls. Each side throws in replacement ball to their team when on defense.

Jan 28, 2017
Played a baseball team that was pretty good. We got beat in the State Finals and hit 43 HR's that year. Our leadoff batter crushed one and it barely made it over 2nd base. Their leadoff hits a popup that carries and goes out. I took a new ball and put it in my pocket and told our four hole to bunt it foul to me, I picked the ball up and put it in my pocket and threw the new ball in. Gave the mushy ball to our pitcher and told him to bring it to the dugout after every inning. They hit the bad ball almost the entire game and we hit normal baseballs the rest of the game. You should have seen their coach and I think the umpire figured it out because he kept laughing when I walked by. We were playing at their place and didn't know the umpire. Only time we ever played that bunch. Won 15-1.

Oct 4, 2018
In most of the games I’m doing, we NEVER get to touch the balls. Each side throws in replacement ball to their team when on defense.

This is a Covid thing though, right?

Pre-Covid, each coach game the ump a game ball and we played. Umpire threw out balls and controlled which balls went into play.

Now it's a bit wild west, and I can see where teams could easily (try to) cheat.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
We played a team last week that would change balls right before the pitcher threw to a batter. They would take the field and she would throw her warm-up pitches then roll the ball to the coach and he would throw another one in. I'm not sure if they did it every inning, but I saw it happen 3 or 4 times. At first I wondered what was going on but I just assumed the pitcher took the wrong ball to the circle with her and wanted a different one.
This act is illegal, by rule in all sanctions. Umpires should put a stop to this immediately. If they refuse to, than ask for the UIC. If all else fails, tells the umpire you are not going to continue to play. Then the TD will show up and want to know what is going on. Some coaches will do anything for a W.
I thought coaches were supposed to be teaching life lessons?

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Wait, so do the stitches mean different things?....As an umpire, we always get two new balls to use, but on some fields near woods, they are quickly gone and we have the coaches supply balls. I usually get them first, if it feels good in my hand, I let them in, but I really don't inspect them properly (my bad). I only once threw out a squishy ball before it was used, and I believe I threw out a men's league softball, it was hard. I gotta remind myself to observe these balls more, thanks for the reminder.
Ok if you are umpiring it is time you learn about the different kinds of softball. Different cores for different level of play. Mostly different between the youth game and the adult game. But as an umpire, if you allow a ball in play that isn’t the correct core, and DD get hurt by this ball, you may have a lawyer after your balls!!!
note also, in USA Softball, if a player is hit with a batted ball, and has to be carried off the field, it is the umpires responsibility to confiscate the ball and turn in to the TD for further evaluation. In short, if you are going to umpire, know your responsibilities, and your rules.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA