Batter Delay of Game...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2022
Watching the online presentation of Iowa High School state tournament (link). One of the teams is, per the announcers, notorious for having their batters run to first on EVERY foul ball. To the extent that, per the commentators, some coaches have complained that it slows down the game quite a bit.

As I was watching, one of their slower hitters fouled off about 6 pitches in a row. I counted to myself and, after the ball got back to the pitcher, it took 12 seconds for the batter to get back in the box ready to hit.

Technically, per the rulebook, the batter has 10 seconds after the pitcher has received the ball to get both feet in the box. If not in the box, the umpire should call a strike.

As a fan, I get annoyed at some of the antics from some teams and wish they would call it. As an neophyte umpire, not sure I would call anything.

Jul 27, 2021
That is good game play and good habit. Some day it is going to pay off on a funky foul ball.

Coaches, players, team waste so much time in other ways. Couldn't even list all the ways and annoying stuff.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
ETBU does it too as well as Strikeouts. Outfielders do not throw the ball into the infield on caught fly balls. The infielder runs out to meet OF and hands the ball off.

I get it, but yeah it's annoying. Lots of players fail to run on a D3K, which does drive me crazy. So there's that.

Jun 8, 2016
Watching the online presentation of Iowa High School state tournament (link). One of the teams is, per the announcers, notorious for having their batters run to first on EVERY foul ball. To the extent that, per the commentators, some coaches have complained that it slows down the game quite a bit.

As I was watching, one of their slower hitters fouled off about 6 pitches in a row. I counted to myself and, after the ball got back to the pitcher, it took 12 seconds for the batter to get back in the box ready to hit.

Technically, per the rulebook, the batter has 10 seconds after the pitcher has received the ball to get both feet in the box. If not in the box, the umpire should call a strike.

As a fan, I get annoyed at some of the antics from some teams and wish they would call it. As an neophyte umpire, not sure I would call anything.
Are umpires required to carry stopwatches or are we doing "1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi,..." ?

May 27, 2022
Are umpires required to carry stopwatches or are we doing "1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi,..." ?

20 seconds between pitches too. 1 minute for warm up pitches between innings. Should we just ignore those too?

Officials seem to be able to handle 3 second call, 10 second call, 5 second call, and 7 seconds (for free throw) in basketball. They must be smarter Than dumb ol’ umpires.

Last edited:
May 27, 2022
That is good game play and good habit. Some day it is going to pay off on a funky foul ball.

Coaches, players, team waste so much time in other ways. Couldn't even list all the ways and annoying stuff.

so, a foul ball bounces off he backstop and you still expect the batter to run all the way through? A tip foul that the stops in front of the catcher Ford the runner even leave the box and they run it out? Or fouled out of play? or bounces off the 1st base dugout fence.

IMO There is a limit.

Jun 8, 2016
20 seconds between pitches too. Should just ignore that too?

Officials seem to be able to handle 3 second call, 10 second call, 5 second call, and 7 seconds (for free throw) in basketball. They must be smarter Than dumb umpires.
Yup

Jun 8, 2016
so, a foul ball bounces off he backstop and you still expect the batter to run all the way through? A tip foul that the stops in front of the catcher Ford the runner even leave the box and they run it out? Or fouled out of play? or bounces off the 1st base dugout fence.

IMO There is a limit.
Since you assume something nefarious is going on, in a non-timed game what is the advantage of delaying??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00