Heads up.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2016
Returned from 12 hr Tournament.

Tough competition / pitching.

Our last game we caught the other team using non tournament balls during the game. = Soft/squishy?

16U

Parent only view and comments. Umpires were alerted and Lady wearing tournament shirt. Guess they got a warning we got sent home.

How the skullduggery worked.

Squishy ball in the Circle. Squishy ball gets fouled out.

Legal ball in circle now for 45 seconds or until squishy ball is returned to their dugout.

Pitcher looks to bench and squishy ball is thrown into the circle from their Bench.

No wet grass involved.

Carry on.

May 6, 2015
If I was HC I would demand refund from TD, and consult a lawyer, if they did not forfeit the other team immediately. And contact sanctioning body if any. if no refund, I would post about that tournament and the team on every social media platform known to man and invent a few new ones just for good measure.

also try to find out umpires name and sanction.

staying silent is how perpetrators of this crap feel comfortable and keep getting away with it.

Nov 9, 2019
It's a shame what some coaches will do for TTa little bit of metal and ribbon. Same thing happened to us about a month ago, except no one was thrown out. Umpire didn't want to do anything so UIC was notified and had the team remove ball from play. Later we heard they used it in latter game and called on it again. Toward the end of tournament i mentioned it to a team that was getting ready to play them and guess what, did it again, were called on it and lost the game and headed home. We were waiting to go in dugout and one of there coaches threw said ball at our coach missed and hit one of our players. Sad world.

May 29, 2015
First time I catch it (as the umpire) it would be a warning. (Good luck proving it was intentional.)

Second time in that game we are looking at some ejections ... plural. Coach and pitcher, minimum.

If I knew it had happened on another field (same team), we are skipping step 1.

Happening in multiple games? TD should be giving the team the boot.

This is a problem with “furnish your own game balls”. Umpires and TDs need to willing to step up, be checking, and act accordingly when the balls provided are not legal. That includes using USSSA balls for USA or vice-versa.

Jun 20, 2015
is it possible to just grab a not perfect ball and toss it in with the current rules about balls defense only etc.,,, sure. and sure a perfectly legal USSSA ball with blue seams versus a Baden or Dream seam, would be illegal as well but not a huge performance difference to cheat.

BUT to plan, orchestrate and repeatedly implement a plan to purposely cheat.... that's below whale turds.

surprised there isn't a video of the beatings.

Jul 2, 2013
We played a team last week that would change balls right before the pitcher threw to a batter. They would take the field and she would throw her warm-up pitches then roll the ball to the coach and he would throw another one in. I'm not sure if they did it every inning, but I saw it happen 3 or 4 times. At first I wondered what was going on but I just assumed the pitcher took the wrong ball to the circle with her and wanted a different one.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I've not seen a funny ball since 12U. Even before Covid, many of the tournaments were the "each team supplies balls" type, but the umpires would check before they went into play. The thing is that foul balls happen on my side of the field as well. After one of my players runs it down, someone in the dugout looks at it before it goes back in. If it were mushy or otherwise illegal, it would be shown to the umpire and then trashed. Mush balls seem way too blatant and easy to spot...cuts seem more likely.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Is this something that can get nipped immediatly by the umpire always tossing the game ball into play?!!!
(handing to catcher to throw to pitcher)
If the ball gets an exterior rip umpires request a different ball.
They inspect bats too!

Btw....
Squishy ball is good for bunting!

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Happening in multiple games? TD should be giving the team the boot.
Umpires and TDs need to willing to step up, be checking, and act accordingly when the balls provided are not legal. That includes using USSSA balls for USA or vice-versa.
Like it 👍
Acknowledging the responsibilty factor of the Umpire community!

Thank you @ TheManInBlue !!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06