Hands working down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
There are some postural issues.. first off don’t close her off too much, secondly, learn how to push the hips back instead of just flexing them. Something like this.

1628595292739.gif

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
1. You have wrist roll before contact. How is your knuckle alignment? Are you using door knocking knuckles? If so, don't.

Line them up like this:
hitting-grip-line-up-rings.jpg

2. Fix your back foot alignment. It's pointed backwards (green). Point it straight at the plate (yellow). This is inhibiting your hip turn.
2021-0810-swing2-0.00.00.00.png

3. Don't bend over quite so far. Cut that bend in half. This also can inhibit hip turn.

The good (don't change) at toe touch: I like your flat rear forearm, and your bat head angle.

Then work on that a few days, and post another swing (it should be much better). Then we can work on your coil/stride (your front hip goes up vs inward, and your head remains at your back foot)

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
1. You have wrist roll before contact. How is your knuckle alignment? Are you using door knocking knuckles? If so, don't.

Line them up like this:
hitting-grip-line-up-rings.jpg

2. Fix your back foot alignment. It's pointed backwards (green). Point it straight at the plate (yellow). This is inhibiting your hip turn.
View attachment 23514

3. Don't bend over quite so far. Cut that bend in half. This also can inhibit hip turn.

The good (don't change) at toe touch: I like your flat rear forearm, and your bat head angle.

Then work on that a few days, and post another swing (it should be much better). Then we can work on your coil/stride (your front hip goes up vs inward, and your head remains at your back foot)
Yes, her grip is door knock knuckles aligned. I tried it myself with your grip, and although I felt like I had a little less barrel whip, it definitely made it easier to think palm up palm down through contact. The back foot is a constant battle. We’ll keep it priority. More duct tape on the basement floor. 😉

Sep 19, 2018
The tee is set up belt high “Meatball”
Her hands are completely collapsed like she is beat inside. The same way Seager is doing. Yet he is catching the ball out front. Your DD is putting the barrel on the ball yet very deep. She doesn't have a choice. If she had any extension in her swing she would be jamming herself. So the ball is set up inside. Not down the middle of the plate in reference to where she thinks she is standing. You have to get that inside pitch out in-front of the front foot. not in line with it. Get a rubber plate and put the tee on that to give her a better idea of spacing.

Jul 17, 2012
Her hands are completely collapsed like she is beat inside. The same way Seager is doing. Yet he is catching the ball out front. Your DD is putting the barrel on the ball yet very deep. She doesn't have a choice. If she had any extension in her swing she would be jamming herself. So the ball is set up inside. Not down the middle of the plate in reference to where she thinks she is standing. You have to get that inside pitch out in-front of the front foot. not in line with it. Get a rubber plate and put the tee on that to give her a better idea of spacing.
I've done one better. Added a plate and a batters box line for her to reference her position and stride. Still working on some of the other suggestions that we've gotten and will post another video in a few days.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I've done one better. Added a plate and a batters box line for her to reference her position and stride. Still working on some of the other suggestions that we've gotten and will post another video in a few days.

I see her trying to turn the barrel behind and ‘hit deep’ without getting the expected results. I have tried this with my DD to try and get ‘early’ barrel speed and overbaked the whole concept. Your hitters arms are not synced with torso and gets no connection. I see the hands and rear elbow trying to turn the barrel under and hit the ball with that ‘early’ speed vs launching together keeping the hands close to the shoulder until the hands need to be released to allow them to stay inside the ball but also whip the barrel around to the ball. Some maybe have called it chicken winging. Though I can’t remember if that is elbows pinned or way far out from side.

In any case your hitter is not releasing. So the barrel turns around the early pivot and whips into the ball early and causes the wrists to roll slightly before contact then the arms stay pinned to the side for no further released extension.

The one drill I like for my DD has been the reverse loose top hand drill. The left bottom hand is normal and the top hand is loose and inverted. So the only thing that is gripping is the bottom and the top just has pressure from the handle as the swing launches. There are a few of these examples on YouTube. I will try to find later but I have posted in the past. When my daughter got the hang of it she was able to hit the ball well during the drill and the path and posture where ‘forced’ into good alignment because of the top hand.

Some have stated they don’t like it. But if you set the tee middle outside and don’t push off to release you won’t get the barrel to the ball. It also doesn’t really allow casting without disastrous results.

I like the drill. Ymmv. Good luck.

By the way I don’t mind her lower half but I am not sure I have figured my DDs out yet either so I won’t comment.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I see her trying to turn the barrel behind and ‘hit deep’ without getting the expected results. I have tried this with my DD to try and get ‘early’ barrel speed and overbaked the whole concept. Your hitters arms are not synced with torso and gets no connection. I see the hands and rear elbow trying to turn the barrel under and hit the ball with that ‘early’ speed vs launching together keeping the hands close to the shoulder until the hands need to be released to allow them to stay inside the ball but also whip the barrel around to the ball. Some maybe have called it chicken winging. Though I can’t remember if that is elbows pinned or way far out from side.

In any case your hitter is not releasing. So the barrel turns around the early pivot and whips into the ball early and causes the wrists to roll slightly before contact then the arms stay pinned to the side for no further released extension.

The one drill I like for my DD has been the reverse loose top hand drill. The left bottom hand is normal and the top hand is loose and inverted. So the only thing that is gripping is the bottom and the top just has pressure from the handle as the swing launches. There are a few of these examples on YouTube. I will try to find later but I have posted in the past. When my daughter got the hang of it she was able to hit the ball well during the drill and the path and posture where ‘forced’ into good alignment because of the top hand.

Some have stated they don’t like it. But if you set the tee middle outside and don’t push off to release you won’t get the barrel to the ball. It also doesn’t really allow casting without disastrous results.

I like the drill. Ymmv. Good luck.

By the way I don’t mind her lower half but I am not sure I have figured my DDs out yet either so I won’t comment.

nice observations. I think the hands w this particular player is ‘no drag’ centric. So it’s really pushy and oppo centric. One extreme to another. there is no rotation whatsoever. Her torso get to about 45 degrees relative to her starting point. Should be about 80 degrees or maybe more. Trying to create deceleration by handcuffing the body isn’t what I think as productive. decel should be learned by TurNing things off (sequence) when needed or by maintaining angles and balance when needed.

the Bonds chop drill creates this imo. The torso and hips will have a chance to position and stabilize naturally and decel so the hands can extend when needed. It’s a natural motion. it’s a no teach if the goal is known. Watch Jrs. body sequence naturally.

1628951009425.gif

the reverse top hand is an ok drill for a opposite handed hitter/thrower imo. But not dominant single handers. Whatever works. TEHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi