Handling of team/player finances

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2013
You would be wrong. I no longer coach, and my daughter is older than that. I have an older son. You pretty much completely missed on that one. :ROFLMAO:

On the bright side. I am a parent. You nailed that part.

Your post made me think of these old commercials.

The question is... how many times did you consult with Cleo (or her understudy in India)?!?! :p

May 29, 2015
We are going to have to agree to disagree. The organization said you will be getting X for Y amount of dollars. Everything was spelled out clearly in the contract that the parents signed. If you don't like the deal go play somewhere else.

Nowhere in the contract did it say if you want to see an itemized financial report for the team we will show you that. Maybe if you were the coach of the team they would share some of that info.

Sorry Silver if you thought I was saying YOU need to think differently. If you are fine with that, then there is nothing wrong with it. I was trying to say “if the organization thinks that way, then it should be a red flag.” As has been said, there is no reason there shouldn’t be transparency if somebody asks.

An additional thought ... if the organization/team is operating as a not-for-profit, there are financial reporting requirements (requirements may vary dependent upon your state).

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
How about when team coaches approachs parents late in season and says we are going to need 100 bucks for each family to pay for pgf qualifier and to compensate travel expenses for a new AC that just happens to be the DD of the organization founder?

This happened and it sucks. Options. Quit the team in july? Or pay the man the money?

May 6, 2015
How about when team coaches approachs parents late in season and says we are going to need 100 bucks for each family to pay for pgf qualifier and to compensate travel expenses for a new AC that just happens to be the DD of the organization founder?

This happened and it sucks. Options. Quit the team in july? Or pay the man the money?
nod and say you forgot your checkbook ;)

Feb 17, 2014
If the person handling the finances for your team is unwilling to or unable to show you where your money is going, then you should find another team.

There should be nothing to hide. If they don't want to show you then I can only assume they are ripping you off.

Oct 4, 2018
I agree they should show you, but at the same time they should be allowed some time.

I don't enter all the receipts immediately. I also have some chicken scratches I'd want to clean up first. And there's probably families that haven't paid yet and you want to hide that data, etc. etc.

May 6, 2015
I agree they should show you, but at the same time they should be allowed some time.

I don't enter all the receipts immediately. I also have some chicken scratches I'd want to clean up first. And there's probably families that haven't paid yet and you want to hide that data, etc. etc.

that is why you do it in a google sheet. it is understood somethings may still need to be entered. but no chicken scratches, it is digital.

and the only thing that all can see is total team budget/expenditures/finances, individual player payments/balances are available only to that family

Jun 8, 2016

The point of the thread was to see what other people were using besides the "chicken scratch" method..that seems to have gotten lost amongst all the "stop bitching" replies....;)

Oct 4, 2018
that is why you do it in a google sheet. it is understood somethings may still need to be entered. but no chicken scratches, it is digital.

and the only thing that all can see is total team budget/expenditures/finances, individual player payments/balances are available only to that family

By "chicken scratches", I do in fact mean Google Sheets.

I might type in something that's a note to myself but isn't really something others would understand. Lots of times things are done on the fly and my entry needs to be edited when I have time.

I've been a treasurer for lots of orgs. I will always take time to edit my documents before sharing, and expect everyone to be cool with that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA