GXS101 vs Vinci Fortus

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Listen to Eric, his DD is a catcher, mines a pitcher! Now that I think about it the Fortus *may* not be a bad option for a 9 year old. Just remember, the CMW4000 or the JCV-22 is on another planet compared to a Miz101. YOU are going to have to beat the snot out of either one of those before your DD will even consider using it, being you said she hates change. Be nice if Worth made a 32.5" or 33" Liberty Advanced.....as far as comparing the Fortus to the 22 or the PC, do as quincy said and contact one of the reps here.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Did everyone hear.............Eric is getting ready to start a catchers gear/equipment database to go along with the bat weight database !!! You da man Eric !

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Did everyone hear.............Eric is getting ready to start a catchers gear/equipment database to go along with the bat weight database !!! You da man Eric !

Nope. There's too much subjectivity in selecting catcher's gear, and too many variables.

Besides, with the bat weight database, I have weighed only about 4 bats myself. Most of the work is done by other people (CoreSoftball20 has been the biggest contributor). I just package the data into a convenient location and format.

Jun 14, 2014
Ca
IMO, the "expert advice" on justballgloves is often pretty poor. In the case of a 10yo, it's going to depend a lot on what that 10yo can handle. In my experience, 10yos come in a wide range of sizes and strength levels. What is too big/heavy for one might be perfect for another. Generally speaking, All-Star gloves and mitts tend to be fairly light, and very good quality.

I haven't seen the Fortus in person yet, but my understanding is that it is a step below the JCV-22. That said, being a Vinci, I would expect the Fortus to be a good step up from the Miz 101.

At 9yo, my DD (not a big girl - a little tall, but pretty lean) went from the Miz 101 to a JCV-22. The size of the JCV-22 is a little bigger than the 101, but not significantly. The JCV-22 is also a bit heavier due to the significant palm padding. For my DD, the size and weight of the JCV-22 were not an issue. Expect a much longer break-in time than a typical mid-low end mitt.

Eric, Weight and size wise how does the JCV-22 compare to the AAR64? My daughter is using the Akedema right now but I do feel it is a bit big and heavy for her.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric, Weight and size wise how does the JCV-22 compare to the AAR64? My daughter is using the Akedema right now but I do feel it is a bit big and heavy for her.

The JCV-22 is smaller than the AAR64, but they are probably similar in weight. What the JCV-22 lacks in overall size, it makes up for in palm padding.

May 20, 2015
Bradenton, FL
I'll have to wait to hear back from casedawg51. If the Fortus is same size or smaller than the Miz 101 than I'm not interested in it. I think she's definitely strong enough to handle the JCV series but if its more than she really needs at this point and the Fortus is a better fit now I'd rather get the Fortus and have her use it for the next 18 months and then upgrade to high quality mitt when she turns 12.
She really needs something she can start using in tourneys this January and the Miz 101 is taking a beating with the 50+ pitching.
Plenty of younger girls I could pass it down to when the time comes.

Eric ...glad to hear about the catchers database it will be useful!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'll have to wait to hear back from casedawg51. If the Fortus is same size or smaller than the Miz 101 than I'm not interested in it. I think she's definitely strong enough to handle the JCV series but if its more than she really needs at this point and the Fortus is a better fit now I'd rather get the Fortus and have her use it for the next 18 months and then upgrade to high quality mitt when she turns 12.
She really needs something she can start using in tourneys this January and the Miz 101 is taking a beating with the 50+ pitching.
Plenty of younger girls I could pass it down to when the time comes.

Eric ...glad to hear about the catchers database it will be useful!

Listen to casedawg's advice. He will steer you in the right direction. My bet is that it will be towards a JCV-22.

I hope your DD is using some sort of rigid thumb protector. Catching those speeds with a poorly-padded mitt like the 101 is making things awfully ripe for thrumb joint damage.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
The Vinci JCV-22 and JCV-VM are identical in size and within half an ounce of each other weight-wise. The JCV-VM took much longer to break in, maybe 3 months before it was game ready. The JCV-22 got used in a tournament three days after we got it.

Both are high quality gloves and have ultimately broken in about the same. And nothing beats the palm padding in a Vinci.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207