Ready for a rise or drop?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
https://vimeo.com/151532770

First off, I'd like to thank BM,JS,BH,RP, and all the parents that post on DFP. It's definitely been a ride and we're enjoying every minute. DD1 is a catcher and am thankful for that as well.(I caught for 12 yrs)

DD2 kept giving hints that she wanted to pitch but I was very hesitant because she was a catcher and a good one at 9 yrs old.(she's 10u now) So we started last Jan just fooling around and of course HE was the easiest to learn. Plus, isn't that the way to go? Lol I can't remember what month last year I started reading the pitching threads on I/R and B/I. Safe to say I'm ok from all the gold that's there and FREE!

We made the switch mid season or so and she caught on fairly quickly. Although HE likes to visit every now and then I'm very proud of the adjustments she made very quick. By June she was clocked at 53-54 consistently at a PGF tourney. She does have a changeup but rarely used it last fall because of cheese. We work on it religiously just in case.

I know we've been blessed but there's work to be done and I'm hoping someone can guide us in the right direction, again :). DD2 wants to learn a drop and rise? She does have a ton of movement with her "fastball" but is it safe to jump into training a rise? I'm realistic so I know it's not gonna be an easy task. Hope to hear from someone with knowledge or experience with this issue and again thank you all!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 12, 2015
I'm fairly awful at evaluating pitchers but she looks great to me. I say go for it. I think usually they learn drop before rise. My 9 year old can throw a drop but not a rise. She's way slower than your dd though, low 40s.

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
Thanks grc! Now, have you taught your DD a turnover or peel? I guess that's my main concern with a drop. Or did you try them both? Again, thanks for your quick response.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
The first thing to work on is her body control after releasing the ball. She is in a rush to just sling the ball. Work on push backs and try to break the habit of walking through after releasing the ball. Not many pitches to judge by but learn to spot the FB and keep working on the CU. Not just in practice, she has to throw it against batters to really get the feel for it.

She is rushing her routine, have her slow down and think about what she is trying to accomplish. After learning to control her finish then add the drop ball. Also start to learn early how to spin the ball. Remember, the faster it comes in the faster it gets hit. Impressive speed but the key is keeping the batters off balance to take advantage of her natural gift of speed.

Jun 12, 2015
Thanks grc! Now, have you taught your DD a turnover or peel? I guess that's my main concern with a drop. Or did you try them both? Again, thanks for your quick response.

That's a great question and I don't know the answer. The pitching coach taught her. I'll have to ask.

ETA, I think it's a turnover. She knew 2 different kinds and showed me what a peel drop looks like, but she throws the other kind usually, she said. She didn't know the name. It's nice to know she's listening in lessons though. Lol

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You need to work on her front side resistance. She should not be moving forward after she releases the ball. Her left foot should *NOT* be coming around to the front of her body.

This is Whitney Canion. She was the best pitcher in the NCAA in 2013. Look carefully at her feet and legs. Do you see her feet moving forward after release? *NO*. Do you see her stepping forward? *NO*.

This is called "front side resistance".

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-czxt7uUvXw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
That's a great question and I don't know the answer. The pitching coach taught her. I'll have to ask.

ETA, I think it's a turnover. She knew 2 different kinds and showed me what a peel drop looks like, but she throws the other kind usually, she said. She didn't know the name. It's nice to know she's listening in lessons though. Lol

Lol they listen wonderfully. I love how she listens at our hitting sessions. Thanks!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-czxt7uUvXw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Am I the only person who watched this video and thought that the umpire should have called the bunter out regardless since she was not in the running lane? She was flagrantly in the base path and cut back to the bag at the last second.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand