Ready for a rise or drop?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
The first thing to work on is her body control after releasing the ball. She is in a rush to just sling the ball. Work on push backs and try to break the habit of walking through after releasing the ball. Not many pitches to judge by but learn to spot the FB and keep working on the CU. Not just in practice, she has to throw it against batters to really get the feel for it.

She is rushing her routine, have her slow down and think about what she is trying to accomplish. After learning to control her finish then add the drop ball. Also start to learn early how to spin the ball. Remember, the faster it comes in the faster it gets hit. Impressive speed but the key is keeping the batters off balance to take advantage of her natural gift of speed.

She spots her fastball really well and as far as her CU it's either low or high. Just depends on the day. I do have a good friend who teaches I/R here and says not to sweat it too much since it's her first year pitching but I am the type of guy that thinks you should take command of a fastball first before anything else. In game situations she's a different kid. Seems to me she works good under pressure. I will talk to her about slowing down and I'll keep an eye on her finish. Thanks for your help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Am I the only person who watched this video and thought that the umpire should have called the bunter out regardless since she was not in the running lane? She was flagrantly in the base path and cut back to the bag at the last second.

I missed that the first time around. Good point!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Assuming she truly has mastered IR/BI and is throwing it very well I would expose her to several movement pitches and find the one that she is naturally inclined to throw. That may be a rise, but then again the rise may be a pitch she never masters. Don't put a square peg in a round hole. Try several pitches and then let her pick which one she wants to work on.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
Assuming she truly has mastered IR/BI and is throwing it very well I would expose her to several movement pitches and find the one that she is naturally inclined to throw. That may be a rise, but then again the rise may be a pitch she never masters. Don't put a square peg in a round hole. Try several pitches and then let her pick which one she wants to work on.

Mastered? Lol no way! Working on it? Hell yes! She's only been working on IR/BI for a few months and pitching all together for a year. HE does like to pop up every now and then but she does her best to adjust. We will talk tonight about what she would like to learn one pitch at a time. I have read here how hard it is to master a rise but would it hurt to teach her the spin while working on a drop? Thanks

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
You need to work on her front side resistance. She should not be moving forward after she releases the ball. Her left foot should *NOT* be coming around to the front of her body.

This is Whitney Canion. She was the best pitcher in the NCAA in 2013. Look carefully at her feet and legs. Do you see her feet moving forward after release? *NO*. Do you see her stepping forward? *NO*.

This is called "front side resistance".

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-czxt7uUvXw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I will read and study the front side resistance sticky! That's one I've never looked into and I'm glad you guys are pointing that out for us. I appreciate all the constructive criticism and it's always welcome. Do you think her glove hand is an issue and it might be why she's coming around? Thanks for the video!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
In today's "instant gratification" society everyone wants to skip over the time and effort that goes into mastering a pitch. Do not become that 12U pitchers parent who shows up at a tryout claiming your DD throws 8 different pitches, and then every pitch hits a 10" pie pan in the heart of the plate. Learning to pitch is a marathon, not a sprint.
53219408-300x300.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
In today's "instant gratification" society everyone wants to skip over the time and effort that goes into mastering a pitch. Do not become that 12U pitchers parent who shows up at a tryout claiming your DD throws 8 different pitches, and then every pitch hits a 10" pie pan in the heart of the plate. Learning to pitch is a marathon, not a sprint.
View attachment 9543

DD1 is 13 and a catcher. Trust me, we've seen it and heard it all. She's caught all 8 pitches lol I caught a guy a couple yrs ago and all he pitched was a rise and drop. Has an amazing CU but when you're throwing 78 from 45 ft what's the point. Those were his exact words. As far as patience...I'm just enjoying the ride. DD1 will be a freshman this fall and it's hard to believe how time has flown right by. I truly understand and get what you mean. Thank you and I hope other folks learn from your reply

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Mastered? Lol no way! Working on it? Hell yes! She's only been working on IR/BI for a few months and pitching all together for a year. HE does like to pop up every now and then but she does her best to adjust. We will talk tonight about what she would like to learn one pitch at a time. I have read here how hard it is to master a rise but would it hurt to teach her the spin while working on a drop? Thanks

It is probably accurate to say that for most pitchers it is harder to learn a rise. But you never know. Mine never could throw a palm up curve, or rollover drop but was throwing a legit rise within a month. For her it is a natural pitch. Whatever comes natural to your DD get her to go all in with that pitch and help her own it. :)

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
It is probably accurate to say that for most pitchers it is harder to learn a rise. But you never know. Mine never could throw a palm up curve, or rollover drop but was throwing a legit rise within a month. For her it is a natural pitch. Whatever comes natural to your DD get her to go all in with that pitch and help her own it. :)

Riseball,
Thanks for the great advice! Wow,that must've been very exciting for DD and yourself. We're definitely gonna give it a shot and let her experiment with grips and spins. And definitely work on her "front side resistance". It's been a great year really. If it wasn't for you guys we wouldn't be where we're at so far. Looking forward to gain more knowledge and experience so that one day I can help a parent and their DD with some advice from our experiences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach