GXS101 vs Vinci Fortus

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
How hard is the break in of the JCV-22 is it about the same as the AAR?

Not even close. The AAR is a pretty quick break in. The JCV-22 takes much longer due to the thickness of the palm pad. I was able to catch with the JCV-22 fairly quickly, but it was a couple weeks before my DD (9yo at the time) could use it.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
As far as comparing the Fortus to the 22 and the PC I don't think Casedawg would mind me sharing this. I have a family who I go to church with who also has a 10 year old DD who plays in the same organization as my DD. They want to buy her a new mitt and ask me my opinion. I sent Casey a text asking about a comparison and his first response was to skip the Fortus. He said both the 22 and the PC are steerhide and the PC is a little nicer, he recommended them a JCV-22. I got the couple in touch with Casey and they bought one from him. He also said he liked the PC a little better but its close !

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
One thing to keep in mind with Vinci gloves is that from the mfr they are very stiff. The superior quality of the leather (very tight grain structure) and internal padding (2 sections of palm felt, plus sewn leather reinforcement bound with twine) makes them very hard to squeeze right out of the box. This seemingly would steer many away from Vinci gloves. But when the glove is broke in.... Vinci catcher's mitts really shine. They provide superior hand protection over any other gloves I have yet to come across and when a pitch hits the tight grained leather, that sound is very intimidating to batters and a confidence builder to pitchers! Vinci gloves are game changers in this respect! If you are considering a Vinci glove, do contact Casey (Casedawg) or other Vinci reps (Please don't shop one rep against the other though) Casey (and others) take the time to do the initial break in so that you receive a glove that is workable and ready for final break in specifically to your catcher's hand. This makes for a much shorter break in time.

IMG_3928.jpg

We have found that entry level Mizunos and (Wilson) have weak spots that allow the glove to fold over on itself at the hinge points when receiving pitches. Mizuno is typically weaker on the finger side and Wilson on the thumb side. The Fortus has softer springier padding and is designed for smaller hands. I have yet to find weak spots in any of Vinci's gloves. If there is any indication of your catcher going through a growth spurt, IMO you would be better off with a PC series or 22 series. You will have a glove that will fit for years to come. BTW I did have a 10U who chose an Optimus series 33 inch and she still loves it at 13.

May 20, 2015
Bradenton, FL
After talking with Casedawg51 decided to go ahead with the JCV-PC. Because I wanted to get it before the holiday Casey will not be able to do the initial breakin so looks like I'll be spending some time in front of the pitching machine. Now I've just got to convince my DD to part with her wornout Miz 101.

Thanks to Casey for his help in deciding on the Vinci.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Be sure to post up some pics when you get it, in fact you should video your DD unboxing it and putting it on her hand. When I handed my DD her Vinci she put it on and tried to squeeze it, she looked at me like "what am I supposed to do with this" ?

Aug 31, 2015
Texas
DD has the CMW4000 and JCV-34. We had a A2k but had to let it go. DD didn't like the shape of it. To say the Vinci took a long time to break in is an understatement. Out of the box that thing could stop bullets. The CMW4000 does not have the same intimidating pop sound the Vinci has. I can tell which glove she is using without seeing her.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
^^^Hey Longshot, does your DD like using the 4000 ? I have a CMW3000 and at times it sounds like a shotgun when I catch my DD. A buddy of mine who played pro baseball bought a 3000 to catch his DD after using mine, his isn't as loud as mine for some reason. He loves it though.

Aug 31, 2015
Texas
^^^Hey Longshot, does your DD like using the 4000 ? I have a CMW3000 and at times it sounds like a shotgun when I catch my DD. A buddy of mine who played pro baseball bought a 3000 to catch his DD after using mine, his isn't as loud as mine for some reason. He loves it though.

She loves the 4000. It is her favorite by far, but it is starting to get a little worn. I have already had to re-lace it twice. She is warming up to the Vinci but the 4000 is her "Blankey". She never goes to a game or practice without it.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Longshot, if I had to pick one thing on my 3000 mitt that wasn't too impressive it would be the laces. The build quality and the construction of my mitt are great but the laces are just so so. You've re-laced it twice? Man that mitt must get used a ton, I'm a 50 year old bucket dad who uses a mitt 2/3 times a week so my laces will be fine for a long time. Re-laced my DD's Vinci with super stiff Glovesmith laces, definitely made a difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan