Guest playing rules after TB season is over?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2020
Question for everyone since I’m unfamiliar with guest playing.

My DD plays TB for a USA softball class B team. FWIW, the team is based in another state. They finish with their season this weekend (7/26).

Her old town travel team is a USA softball class C team, but playing up into a Class B tournament in August after her TB season is done.

Her old coach has been in contact with us and was asking if she was available for that Class B tournament. Is that OK? Her TB season would be finished and the tournament is in the same class as her current team. She wants to help out some of her friends since they are playing up against strong teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 3, 2016
Is the team she’s on now having tryouts and all spots are open?

Do they just keep he same girls and try to find ones to replace ones who are not returning.

First option after season ends you are free to do as you choose (you really are either way)

Second option I would have a conversation with the coach. After season and during season are totally different and I highly doubt any coaches would be against it after season. And that’s coming from someone with a no pickup policy during season.

Aug 21, 2020
Is the team she’s on now having tryouts and all spots are open?

Do they just keep he same girls and try to find ones to replace ones who are not returning.

First option after season ends you are free to do as you choose (you really are either way)

Second option I would have a conversation with the coach. After season and during season are totally different and I highly doubt any coaches would be against it after season. And that’s coming from someone with a no pickup policy during season.

They are having open tryouts, but my DD is aging up and most of the team is staying back, so no matter what happens we’re moving on.

It might not have come across in the post, but given the scenario - DD is rostered as a 12B player for the USA softball sanction and she’s being asked to guest on for a tournament on a C team playing up in a USA softball Class B tournament - is that against the ASA/USA softball guesting rules?

May 6, 2015
They are having open tryouts, but my DD is aging up and most of the team is staying back, so no matter what happens we’re moving on.

in this, you really can do whtever you want. their season is over, and you are a complete free agent, unless you choose not to be. but to be classy, keep bridges unburned, and possibly make the old coach an advocate for your DD if anyone you tryout for asks him, i would send him a email or text whatebver along the lines of

"hey coach, just wanted to say thanks for a great season. Sally enjoyed her time with you and the team, and wishes the team the best of luck. as you know, Sally is aging up, and it seems the team will be staying at their current age level, so we will be looking for a new softball family for her. BTW, she is guesting this weekend for team XXX with a bunch of her friends."

it is amazing how much drama can be avoided by clear, straightforward communication.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
The OP is asking if his DD can play for another team while be rostered on her original team. Is the tourney a "Nationals" type of event. If not, nothing to do. If so, you'll need to do some homework.

You need to check to see which team she is officially rostered on. You may need to have her original coach release her so the new coach can add her to his roster. https://www.registerusasoftball.com/Account/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/default.aspx

May 6, 2015
never, not at a nationals, nor a state USSSA championship, had anyone check a dugout to make certain everyone was rostered. it really is the honor system, unless someone sees someone they know is on another team.

Apr 26, 2019

It might not have come across in the post, but given the scenario - DD is rostered as a 12B player for the USA softball sanction and she’s being asked to guest on for a tournament on a C team playing up in a USA softball Class B tournament - is that against the ASA/USA softball guesting rules?

I'm not an expert by any means, but it has always been my understanding, you can guest up a level or lateral to the same class and not down.

That said, if the team she wants to guest for has registered in the tournament as a "B" team I would not see an issue. All this should be taken with the grain of salt that I am a kfa. I'm sure others here will have more experience with the rules.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad