Guess I'll start an off-topic thread?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Anybody use a pellet grill?

I used a pellet grill (Camp Chef) for 6 years and loved it. And have owned both non-WIFI and WIFI versions. At this point they (CC, Traeger, whoever) are so automated it's near dummy proof. Make sure you have pellets, set your temperature, and let it do it's thing. The WIFI version gave me control over temp, smoke amount, and let me set alerts for probe temp all to my phone. It almost made it too easy. I also had the sear box attachment (gas) with cast iron grate. Which could be used to grill with, though I never did. Just used it for high temp searing.

It definitely took some learning on how to use it properly. But, once I did it got to the point I was using it to cook almost everything on. In very basic terms, a pellet smoker is a convection oven that blows smoke. So anything you would cook in your traditional oven, could be cooked in the pellet smoker. Outside of the obvious...I used it to cook beans, mac & cheese, pizza, jalapeno poppers, chili, etc etc. And it's great to use to make smoked cheeses. I used mine A LOT.

Then, I had a buddy get me onto the Green Egg wagon. Fortunately, I horse traded for it because those things aren't cheap. It has ended up replacing my pellet smoker entirely (I sold it). I use it for straight grilling and smoking. Again, it took some learning on how it wants to work. But now it's a piece of cake.

I also have a four burner flat top that lives in my garage. Awesome for cooking breakfast, smash burgers, fajitas, chicken fried rice and multitude of other things.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I used a pellet grill (Camp Chef) for 6 years and loved it. And have owned both non-WIFI and WIFI versions. At this point they (CC, Traeger, whoever) are so automated it's near dummy proof. Make sure you have pellets, set your temperature, and let it do it's thing. The WIFI version gave me control over temp, smoke amount, and let me set alerts for probe temp all to my phone. It almost made it too easy. I also had the sear box attachment (gas) with cast iron grate. Which could be used to grill with, though I never did. Just used it for high temp searing.

It definitely took some learning on how to use it properly. But, once I did it got to the point I was using it to cook almost everything on. In very basic terms, a pellet smoker is a convection oven that blows smoke. So anything you would cook in your traditional oven, could be cooked in the pellet smoker. Outside of the obvious...I used it to cook beans, mac & cheese, pizza, jalapeno poppers, chili, etc etc. And it's great to use to make smoked cheeses. I used mine A LOT.

Then, I had a buddy get me onto the Green Egg wagon. Fortunately, I horse traded for it because those things aren't cheap. It has ended up replacing my pellet smoker entirely (I sold it). I use it for straight grilling and smoking. Again, it took some learning on how it wants to work. But now it's a piece of cake.

I also have a four burner flat top that lives in my garage. Awesome for cooking breakfast, smash burgers, fajitas, chicken fried rice and multitude of other things.
After reading all that I may need to rethink the whole pellet grill thing.....until you got down to your Big Green Egg comment, that's what I've been thinking about lately!

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Traeger is out of my range, but there are def some nice ones and not as expensive. Im not as
much of a pro griller as some of you guys are...im just a go out and cook some sh!t for dinner type
guy...haha. The pellet thing has interested me for a while

Dec 11, 2010
After reading all that I may need to rethink the whole pellet grill thing.....until you got down to your Big Green Egg comment, that's what I've been thinking about lately!
I don’t know if it compares but Costco had the Komodo version for half price last week.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri

I really went down the rabbit hole with smoking. I had both the GE and CC at one point. Green Egg in my garage and Camp Chef on the back deck. After awhile I realized I had stopped using the Camp Chef entirely. I didn't sell it until I had done a couple pork shoulders and briskets on the Green Egg. Being more "manual" I wanted to be sure I could actually do it - haha.

Once I trusted myself to cook on the Egg, I haven't looked back. Though I will always say great things about pellet smokers. I truly enjoyed having mine. And Camp Chef even released a new model that lets you use wood chips (for smoking) in addition to the pellet cooking.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
When I was in college a couple years I lived in dorms.

The next couple years I rented rooms in houses. One time came home to find all the utilities had been turned off on the property. So I attempted to barbecue a frozen pizza. Wrapped it in foil...
🙄for whatever reason thought that might have been good.
That was one pizza I did not eat.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
When I was in college a couple years I lived in dorms.

The next couple years I rented rooms in houses. One time came home to find all the utilities had been turned off on the property. So I attempted to barbecue a frozen pizza. Wrapped it in foil...
🙄for whatever reason thought that might have been good.
That was one pizza I did not eat.
I currently live in the dorms at my school and I so wish I could grill. I can only grill on a small electric grill, currently. But at home, my dad has one of those Big Green Egg grills and an older than dirt Weber charcoal grill. He absolutely loves both of his grills.

I do remember the first time we tried to make pizza on a grill. It was so inedible. It was so bad our dogs didn't want to eat it, lol. Now, we have a wood fired pizza oven out back and we churn out bomb pizzas.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06