Guess I'll start an off-topic thread?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Nice!!!

So next question: what kind of grill? I like the looks of your cast iron grates

My old Weber Genesis is around 14 years old, it’s time for a new one!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Nice!!!

Weber Spirit E-310, 3 burner. Took my Weber charcoal kettle to work, it stays there for burgers & hotdogs.

Dec 11, 2010
Weber Spirit E-310, 3 burner. Took my Weber charcoal kettle to work, it stays there for burgers & hotdogs.

Very nice. Have always had a Weber kettle in addition to our gas grill, been awhile since I fired it up!

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Nice!!!

WW - my Weber Genesis is getting long in the tooth here also, IIRC correctly it's about 18 yrs old. I did get the Home Depot edition which has cast iron grates and they've held up very well I found out when I was buying this grill how some of these big box, chain stores get around price matching...the Home Depot Weber was different than the Walmart, Lowes Weber and had different model numbers. I also got the Nat Gas version and have it hooked up directly to my line on the front patio. No more running out of propane and switching tanks mid-steak! The Nat Gas does run a little cooler though so I had to learn to crank it up hotter than I would otherwise have. It's been a workhorse over the years as I grill a lot and in all kinds of weather.

Good looking shrimp there AD...I like the heavy Old Bay with some Cayenne and Kinders Woodfire Garlic rub mixed in.

Dec 11, 2010
WW - my Weber Genesis is getting long in the tooth here also, IIRC correctly it's about 18 yrs old. I did get the Home Depot edition which has cast iron grates and they've held up very well I found out when I was buying this grill how some of these big box, chain stores get around price matching...the Home Depot Weber was different than the Walmart, Lowes Weber and had different model numbers. I also got the Nat Gas version and have it hooked up directly to my line on the front patio. No more running out of propane and switching tanks mid-steak! The Nat Gas does run a little cooler though so I had to learn to crank it up hotter than I would otherwise have. It's been a workhorse over the years as I grill a lot and in all kinds of weather.
I really want natural gas! I’m having trouble talking my wife into it. Once in awhile we leave the gas on after taking food off. Either the new Webers or Napoleon’s have knobs that light up while the gas is on. This did not convince her that it was safe for us to do, lol!

The new feature is “sear burners”. I don’t know EXACTLY what that means, but I want it. I think I also want a rotisserie. Whole chickens? Small turkeys? Maybe beef roasts?

Anybody use a pellet grill?
Yes. Last spring I bought a Traeger with our credit card rebate. It did not replace a regular grill for us like I hoped it would. I have done a pork shoulder, cream cheese (awesome!) chicken legs, pork loins etc and it’s fun. I really like to do my brats on that.

There are a lot of nice pellet smokers. The nice thing about the Traeger is the grill runs on Wi-FI not Bluetooth. The app is really good. I overcook stuff so the meat probe keeps me on track with that.

Bad thing: it’s electric. I had to run an extension cord under my deck and cut in an “outlet”.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
One of my body techs brought his Traeger in one day and smoked some ribs, it's a really nice setup but for some reason the thought of buying one just doesn't interest me? Maybe it's just the ignition system and having to buy / use pellets for it....I don't know?
I almost sold it the first week. It really took some getting used to.

I think Traeger appeal to people like me that aren’t spectacular cooks too- my brother in law can build a fire in a hubcap and grill fantastic steaks. That ain’t me, lol!

Also- I’m wondering if the new Genesis type gas grills can run low enough temp that you can just use a smoke tube and get the same result? That might change my mind on its necessity.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma