Grrrr, high school softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
We played a travel tournament over the winter. Our team batted through the lineup through 2 innings and in the top of the third inning the opposing pitcher hit our starting pitcher, catcher and SS all in the same inning. The first one we considered an accident. The second we grew suspicious and the third was definitely intentional. Besides the fact that this pitcher was really, really good hitting spots for the first three innings, the fact that the catcher and pitcher were both laughing after the second and third hit batter that sealed the suspicion. Our coach went ballistic! The head coach from the other team was also laughing while this was happening. We got the last laugh as we won the game and all of our girls were laughing during the post game handshake line while they were crying....

Don't retaliate, beat them!

Jan 26, 2015
NE Kansas
So, talked to DD today. She was not the only HBP. Between the two games almost all the girls on her team got free bases. She saw the opposing pitcher today at a different sport competion. She asked my DD how her finger was and admitted she was having a horrible game pitching last night.

So no one was saying HPBs were on purpose. Gotta love the joys of HS softball.

My oldest DD threw right and batted left. Had highest HBP percentage on the team by a LONG way...and that IS something that they worked on in practice (how to get HBP "correctly" to avoid injury). Had a girl on an opposing team plunk her (and only her) the first time up to bat and it was pretty obvious that it was intentional. DD did not hit the opposing pitcher when she came up to bat (as she would have probably been benched and she knew it), but it was high and inside...enough to move her back a step and let her know she was aware the HBP was intentional. The message was heard and the rest of the game proceeded smoothly.

Apr 11, 2012
Never seen a girl try and hit someone on purpose, not on my team, not on other teams. Not when I played and not now. A video was posted where the coach asked the battery to hit an opposing batter who had bombed a homer, but not in my part of the country. I would not project this stuff on the players.

I am also not sure why the big deal. If the pitcher has a screwball to a righty, righties will get hit. Part of the game. Some of the curves from lefty to righty and right to lefty will also hit batters. The umps are squeezing the zone at the top in college, TB and HS, so you get east west pitching. I went to a TB game for one of my players and her team was hit 5x. Has nothing to do with where you are playing either.There is no intention to it at least below college (unless some moron coaches are teaching it, and that is rare)

maybe the pitchers you are watching just aren't very good and everyone expects them to "donk" 5 players a game. The big deal is when the HBP's gets one sided (one team getting 3 or more HBP) and sometimes the big girls get it evened out....and we understand that that in your part of the country, players apparently never get hit on purpose and if they do there is never a retaliation....I'm sure people never lock their cars or houses up in your parts either....but I can guarantee you one thing...if 5 players in a real 18GOLD game get hit....all 5 of them wouldn't be on the same team....

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2013
Yup. Those dang LSU pitchers earlier in the year were trying to hurt those poor Florida players with all those hit batters!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff