Grrrr, high school softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
DD playing top rivals today- DD pitches, throws left but bats right. Is HBP on first at bat , by first pitch, on her pitching shoulder. How does that happen?

Nov 29, 2009
Did she return the favor? At that age the players usually take care of things like that on their own.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Did she return the favor? At that age the players usually take care of things like that on their own.

12U rec league, one of our girls gets HBP. I look at our pitcher and jokingly say, "You put it right between her numbers the next time she hits." She says, "What do you mean?" I say, "Where are her numbers?" She says, "On her back............you want me to hit her??.......That's mean!!"

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
DD pitches, throws left but bats right.

Same here.

Funny, just got through reading the "baseball coach coaching softball" thread. One thing we teach ( over and over ) in baseball is "how" to take HBP's and/or how to avoid them. One is for safety reasons, the other is an offensive objective to get on base. Over the years I've seen some real magicians who can barely get nipped on purpose, and awarded first.

We use to work with the girls mostly from the safety aspect of the HBP, avoiding it is top priority, but instruction on where [to/U] take it ( if unavoidable ) is rarely taught in softball.

May 13, 2012
We use to work with the girls mostly from the safety aspect of the HBP, avoiding it is top priority, but instruction on where [to/U] take it ( if unavoidable ) is rarely taught in softball.

Fla and a few other schools seem to have mastered it.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
DD got hit on the forearm while batting a couple of years ago and when she took the circle next inning I thought she was going to turn green and flex out of her uniform. She was pissed off and throwing harder than I had ever seen her throw!

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket

Just had this happen to DD. She plunked the pitcher in the knee during the first inning. Didn't know it was the pitcher since they were visitors. DD is lead off when we get up and guess what? She get plunked in the mid upper pitching arm. Didn't phase either pitcher as they both pitched complete games.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
So, does this mean it's high school ball's fault? It would not have happened in TB?

I just have not seen this in travel, as DD is mostly doing showcases- no points for hitting others in a showcase I think- only reflects on the pitcher - unless batter is crowding the plate or in the strike zone, neither of which DD was doing.

As an aside, DD did turn into pitch so it did not hit her on the bicep but posterior upper left shoulder - still left big mark, but probably not as bad as if it had hit her upper arm

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24