Groin Injury

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
13yo DD pulled her groin running out of the box after a hit. She has iced, ibuprofen-ed and rested for almost two weeks now. Sunday she walked around at practice picking up balls in OF, chomping at the bit wanting back on the mound. She spent some time on bucket during batting practice. At the end of practice, she had a very slight limp and told me it still hurt. How long will this take and is there anything she can do to help. She has a very high pain threshold so I know she is not making this up. She cried when we told her she couldn't practice for a few weeks. Thanks for the help.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Probably need a doctor to give you a better idea as these injuries can vary a lot in recovery time depending on severity.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
We are in the two weeks of doing nothing. Just wondering about specific stretching and conditioning both for recovery and future prevention.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Sorry I can't help there too much but a dr. can give some strengthening exercises that may help.
a good dynamic stretching warmup should be part of her pre-practice pre-game routine if it isn't already.
This seems like a decent site to check out The Complete Guide to Groin Strains | Injury/Pain | Core Knowledge | Core Performance
Google has a lot of info that comes up if you type in a search for grade 1 groin strain. grade 2 or 3 are more severe and will each take longer to heal. Complete rest, though maddening, if the way to go at the onset.

Nov 15, 2011
I'm a big believer in getting into a physical therapist if you can. Our insurance covers self referral to PT but sometimes you need a dr. referral. My daughter's PT has gotten her through a couple of injuries quickly and coming out stronger than before. If there is no improvement after 2 weeks I say the dr. and ask for a PT referral.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
Family pediatrician diagnosed saying if she was still in pain after two weeks of no activity, she would refer elsewhere. As an update, DD still attends practices with team, just not supposed to practice yet. I had to work late and missed taking her to practice but showed up later. DD was doing batting practice and according to wife, did most of the stretching and warm ups with the team. No complaints of pain, but being as stubborn as her mother, probably wouldn't anyway. Instead, I did not notice any limp or gimp at the end. We went over the new stretching given by Seat Lou's Google search, thanks Lou, and I think she understands. That darn kid is flat out ate up with this TB! I'm going to give a few more days before we start back on the mound though.
Thanks to all for their help.

Dec 7, 2011
A reputable PT is worth its weight in gold!!!!
Get past the general practitioner ASAP and find that PT.

The big & popular PT houses see connecting-tissue cases day-in and day-out. GP's like to take an x-ray and tell ya to rest a few weeks....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid