Great coach, but......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
My DD has is on a pretty decent 12u softball team. It's a relatively new team, but he has really brought them along nicely since the fall. When the fall started, I kept thinking, "Wow, this is going to be a LONG season!" But by the time they finished their last fall tournament, they were a force to be reckoned with. I give him props for that! I honestly didn't think they would come along so quickly.

This coach is also a paid hitting instructor for MANY players in the area, both baseball and softball players. His high school girls really crush the ball and several have "all-state" honors. We just moved to this area in August and DD had been going to a hitting instructor where we used to live and has always had a good form and hit the ball well.

We decided that we would use this coach to continue her hitting instruction for two reasons. 1. Because he is her current head coach. 2. Because his students really do hit the ball well.

He stated all through the fall that he was glad to have DD on his team and he really liked her hitting. We went to two or three lessons with him and on the third lesson, I finally had a chance to go in and really pay attention to what he was teaching and I cringed. He was totally trying to change everything she had been taught by a top notch hitting instructor. The thing that really got me was when I heard him tell her to "squash the bug"......

There's another place we could take her to receive hitting instruction that teaches the same way she had been taught previously. We did give it a try and she was definitely more comfortable and seemed happier overall.

Here's the dilemma...... I want to take her to the "other" place where she's comfortable and they are building on what she already does, but how do you tell her current head coach "thanks, but no thanks" without jeopardizing the relationship that's been built? He's really not an easy guy to talk to, but we do like the way he coaches the team on the field.....just disagree with the way he teaches hitting.

DD is currently the #1 pitcher and bats in the clean-up spot. I have heard of other coaches that get pretty political and will favor the private-paying students. I'm hoping this guy is not that type of guy, but being so new to the whole area, I don't know that much about him other than his teams are very successful.

BTW.....changing teams is not an option because there just aren't very many travel ball teams around this area. Changing teams would mean driving 3-4 hours one way for practices two to three times per week, and we just can't do that at this time.....not for 12u. I'd be more willing to do that if she was playing in 14's or higher, but she's a first year 12u player.

I look forward to reading any advice you guys can give us on this.

Jun 24, 2013
DD is currently the #1 pitcher and bats in the clean-up spot.

She can do anything she wants. :)

It is worth talking to them in person, I would not mention the cringe part just that your DD has been working with X and is comfortable/ happy with them. If the HC is a jerk about it survive the season then move on because it is not someone your DD should be playing for.

Jul 2, 2013
Tell the new hitting instructor a simplified version of the truth: YOU CANNOT AFFORD IT!!! You cannot afford to pay good money after something you think is bad for your DD (leave this part out)

Even though you fluff up this coaches credentials, it would not surprise me if eventually you could not "afford" to play for his team.

Far and above my biggest beef about hitting instructors. Take the new #1 hitter on the team and finally "teach" her how to hit. We stay completely away from hitting instructors. It is much cheaper to rent time in a batting cage. A great HC can develop a great hitter by watching her hit in practice and games, and giving her simple, one ... step ... at ... a ... time, instructions.

A long overdue conversation is needed with this coach.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Tell the truth. You would rather have her continue with the mechanics she has, there's no insult to anyone in that.
There is always a chance he'll be "that guy", but if he was happy with her hitting as a field coach, and didn't tinker, he probably isn't.

Sounds to me like there really isn't any drama here .... You are just anticipating it. Part of paying for a private instructor is choosing the person you want. I seriously doubt this coach will have an issue with who you choose as long as DD is hitting well. I know as a head coach that I certainly wouldn't.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
She can do anything she wants. :)

It is worth talking to them in person, I would not mention the cringe part just that your DD has been working with X and is comfortable/ happy with them. If the HC is a jerk about it survive the season then move on because it is not someone your DD should be playing for.

I agree with James. If you are happy with the other method of instruction you should not feel pressured to change. We have four pitchers on our team. 3 of them utilize mechanics discussed in the pitching forum here. The other has an HE instructor. The parents are happy with the instructor, and more importantly, the player is comfortable with the instructor and his teachings. Who am I to force her to change....

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
He isn't charging your DD, is he?

We did pay for three private sessions with him. We are going to continue to take her to the other coach we found that does teach like what she's already been taught, but she will continue to go to the team's weekly hitting practice.

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
Sounds to me like there really isn't any drama here .... You are just anticipating it. Part of paying for a private instructor is choosing the person you want. I seriously doubt this coach will have an issue with who you choose as long as DD is hitting well. I know as a head coach that I certainly wouldn't.

It's true. There is no drama at all right now, and I don't anticipate there being any. I was just looking for the best way to try to approach him about not using him for private lessons anymore because he was trying to change too much and she wasn't comfortable with what he was trying to teach her. He seems to be a pretty good guy and very up front about things. We haven't been around the area or the team long enough to see or hear if there are any other sides of him, and I didn't want to cause any problems with DD playing for him.

I think I'll go with the "not being able to afford it" approach.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog