Gotta love that home cookin...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 1, 2011
We were playing pretty far away from home last wekend, did the ol coin flip to determine "home" team and the umpire and opposing coach informed me that the coach's son had played on a travel team that was coached by the umpire for 6 years. Oh boy...

To start the 2nd inning the batter hits my catcher's glove when she swung and missed the 1st pitch. The umpire called interference on my catcher and awarded the batter 1st base. On the next pitch she steals 2. The runner ( I said batter the 1st time, that was an open invitation for someone to come along and act like a complete idiot. I think the mods here should warn him and others like him for derailing every thread they post in) broke for 3 on the next pitch, it hit my catcher's glove, fell down and laid dead right beside the plate. Before the batter stepped back out of the way she hit the ball into the backstop with her bat like she was hitting a golf ball.

Blue pulls his mask off and yelled "STOP! That's interference on the batter and I could call her out,,, but this is just a friendly game and I'm not calling interference in it..."

:confused:

I never argue with them. Ever. I had to ask him about that one though. I asked him if he would kindly put the girl on 2 back up to bat since he wasn't calling interference, he didn't like that at all.

We ended up winning the game. It was tight, having to play against 10 instead of 9 made it a lot tighter than it should have been.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
To start the 2nd inning the batter hits my catcher's glove when she swung and missed the 1st pitch. The umpire called interference on my catcher and awarded the batter 1st base.

No, he didn't. I hope he ruled catcher's obstruction which does award the batter 1B. What's your point?

On the next pitch she steals 2. The batter broke for 3 on the next pitch

I don't understand what that means.

, it hit my catcher's glove, fell down and laid dead right beside the plate. Before the batter stepped back out of the way she hit the ball into the backstop with her bat like she was hitting a golf ball.

Was it fair or foul?

Blue pulls his mask off and yelled "STOP! That's interference on the batter and I could call her out,,, but this is just a friendly game and I'm not calling interference in it..."

:confused:

Well, that would depend on whether such an allowance was made by those running the tournament, but it still makes a difference on whether the ball was fair or not.

I never argue with them. Ever. I had to ask him about that one though. I asked him if he would kindly put the girl on 2 back up to bat since he wasn't calling interference, he didn't like that at all.

That makes sense, but it isn't good that it would be like that.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Really? Why and what's the rationale?

Because if it was foul it cannot be interference. Unless I'm reading this wrong. I have no idea what the "batter broke for 3" means. I'm thinking batted ball which may be my misunderstanding. If it was and the ball dropped and laid dead, for it to be fair, the catcher would had been up on and touched the ball over the plate. Otherwise, it would be foul.

Now, if this wasn't a batted ball, and the batter hit the ball, it would be INT if the runner was attempting to advance.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
The batter broke for 3 on the next pitch, it hit my catcher's glove, fell down and laid dead right beside the plate. Before the batter stepped back out of the way she hit the ball into the backstop with her bat like she was hitting a golf ball.

On the pitch the runner on 2nd attempts the steal. The pitch enters the catchers glove and is dropped. The batter then golfs the ball to the backstop. INF on the batter.

Oct 1, 2011
No, he didn't. I hope he ruled catcher's obstruction which does award the batter 1B. What's your point?

I don't understand what that means.

Was it fair or foul?

Well, that would depend on whether such an allowance was made by those running the tournament, but it still makes a difference on whether the ball was fair or not.

That makes sense, but it isn't good that it would be like that.

People who pretend to be ignorant for what ever reason they may have are one of my favorite things about this web site.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2011
I'm afraid MTR missed all the points in the story. I'm not going to try to re-write it.

For what ever reason it's fun for a lot of people who post here to pretend to be ignorant. Treat them like you would any other idiot that you may have to deal with in your day to day life and you'll take all of the fun out of it. Eventually they will stop.

Mar 13, 2010
MTT is right though. There's. Otho g wrong with expecting people to get it right. Could have been politer tho.

Here we can call the head umpire in for that. Was that an option? To call a kid for accidental catchers interference is OK but to allow a kid who did it deliberately to then not be called for int is disgusting.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
On the pitch the runner on 2nd attempts the steal. The pitch enters the catchers glove and is dropped. The batter then golfs the ball to the backstop. INF on the batter.

Still don't understand what "batter broke for 3" means. It if said the runner broke for 3, which is what you are saying and what should have been posted, that makes sense and it would be INT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207