Glove Size- coach says one thing/store says another

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2013
She has to move up to 8 and under this year. She had a great season last year and had other league teams asking her to play. The team she is on now is league/travel team. They play league games during the week and tourneys on weekend. They have 3- 2-1/2 hour practices a week. I'm afraid she is going to get burnt out and she is a good little player. Fastest kid on the team by far. She's going to get discouraged when she can't field with a 12-1/2 inch glove. This is ridiculous but I guess I'll not be that parent. My daughters best friends are all on this team.

I honestly wish you the best of luck, but you are definitely right to be watching closely for signs of burnout that is a lot of practice time for a 8U machine pitch league, then throw games and tourneys on top of that just seems like a lot, but as long as she seems happy and is enjoying herself that is what counts.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
My 6YO DD used an 11 inch last year and then played Fall Ball with much better and older girls so I bought her a nice 11.75 when an 11.5 would have been a better size. 12.5 is silly.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Go with your instincts, and just slow down. Turn down the offers to play travel, if you want to. Softball is a very expensive sport and she is so young. Let her do some other sports. I bet she will love all of them. (And I bet she makes friends quickly.)

Apr 1, 2010
DD's first tee ball glove was an Easton Black Magic in 10.5, I think? It was a great glove for a child, real leather and not stiff. It was comfortable, fit well and was easy for her to close. If I remember right, she went on to play machine pitch softball and some 8U kid-pitch softball with that glove before it got too small for her hand.

She eventually went up to a Mizuno 11.5 and was using that through 10U, when not catching. At 13 yrs old and now as large or larger than many adult women, she's using a 12" Mizuno when she plays third (when she remembers to use it instead of her catcher's mitt, LOL). 12.5" for a six year old is ridiculous.

But yeah, you sure don't want to get a reputation as THAT parent. Not all gloves are equal, despite what size they say are. For example, I have a 12.5" Akadema Reptilian that's smaller than DD's 12" Mizuno. I'd take your daughter around and see if you can't find a glove stamped 12.5 that seems to run small and is a better fit for her than most 12.5 would be.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2013
DD plays with a 12" Akedema which doesn't appear to be much bigger than the 11.5 mizuno she had at 8 and under. It's all about glove control. 12 inches or more still seems unwieldy on a lot 10u players.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2012
My 6 year old DD used an 11 inch glove last year while playing 2nd base for a 8U team. She is on the smaller side. I just bought an 12 inch Rawlings glove that looks big on her. I wish I'd bought an 11 1/2. But I think she'll be able to use it. It will take some getting used too. I bought the glove about 2 months ago and just gave it to here for her birthday. I've been trying to break it in for her since I had it. So far I think it will work,but I think I would like to of bought her an 11 1/2 instead.

Good Luck.
Chad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01