Glove Size- coach says one thing/store says another

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2013
My 6 year old is moving up to 8 and under machine pitch for Fall. Her coach is insisting that every girl have at least a 12 inch glove. My daughter plays short stop. When I went to the store to buy a new glove for her the man in the store said it was crazy to insist that 5-6-7 year olds get 12 inch gloves. Any suggestions?? My daughter loves this game, I don't want her to get discouraged. I ended up getting an 11-1/2 and now the other girls are making her feel like she has a baby glove b/c all of theirs range 12-13 inches.

My 14 yo wants a 11 3/4" glove.

I would think an 11.5" glove is perfect for the 11" ball. Even with the older girls, most infielders wear a 12" glove.

Whatever makes your daughter feel comfortable and get a quick release from the ball is all that counts.

Jun 24, 2013
Someone that posts here insists college infielders use 11.5’ – 11.75” gloves.

11.5” sounds about what my DD used at 8 and 10U, maybe an 11”.

11.5" sounds like a good size to me too.

Once she starts making some plays no one is going to care what type or size glove she has.

Edit:

I coached 8U and players showed up with no mitts or tee ball mitts that barely fit a baseball let alone a softball. The coach sounds like they are trying to do the right thing but the 12” glove requirement sounds “crazy” like the store clerk said. I would have been happy if all my players had a softball mitt no matter what the size.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2013
Well I just got a message from the coach saying to take her glove back and get nothing less than a 12.5. I am so confused??

Jun 24, 2013
The coach is wrong, I do not know what to tell you.

If it is up to you if this a battle you want to fight, especially so early in the year. It might be better just to appease them so you do not get a reputation of being “that parent”.

Edit: Go back to the store and see if the clerk has a Team.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am all for big gloves, but let's be practical. You (the parent) are right. Nice gloves do have loops in the thumb and little finger that allow you to go a bit big, but 12.5 for a 6 yo is just goofy.

I would call the coach and say, "I am sorry, but my daughter is no longer available for the team. We are taking a different direction." She can actually sit out, this year and next and just have fun with you playing catch. No harm will be done, but with the current "coach" ?????

May 24, 2013
So Cal
All the girls on my DD's 8U All-Star team were using 11.5"-12" gloves this season, and most of these girls are 9 and moving up to 10U for Fall Ball. My 14yo DD uses a 12" playing 2B. Giving a little girl a glove that is too large for her to maneuver well is a mistake, and will hinder her ability to play the ball well. A 12.5" for a 6-7yo is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
My 8U DD is using an 11" or 11.5" hand me down from big sis who previously used it all the way through 10U. Though a lace broke last night in the pocket so it may be time for a new glove...

That new glove will not be a 12.5" glove.

I don't know how much this "coach" will take it out on your kid but I would tell the coach that she is playing with the 11.5 inch glove. I might be tempted to go to another teams practice or maybe they are right after or before yours and see what other kids are using.

Also if she is only 6 and still qualifies for tee ball and the coach continues to be a jerk I might think about telling the league you don't want her playing up, it is usually in the by-laws that they can only play up with parents and league approval.

Anyway if you want a little ammunition you can do a little online research, most places say that at anything under 10 yrs old you should not really have a glove bigger than 12 (obviously depends on hand size) with most recommending smaller. Another thought is go to the glove manufactures web site and follow their sizing instructions I can almost promise they will suggest something in the 11.5 inch range.

Bottomline: a 12.5 inch glove is too big for a 6 yr old.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01