Glove side turn

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2015
My DD is a lefty who plays some third on her team, she has been taught by her coaches to do a glove side turn when fielding and throwing to first base. When she does so, she obviously spins around and it causes her trbl, sometimes. To find her target quickly enough. I think part of it is she spins so fast around she kind of passes the intended target. Thoughts on glove side turn? I know a lefty does not traditionally play 3rd but that is where coach put her, so we are dealing with it.

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
The turn she uses should depend on which side the ball was on. If she is going to her left she should either jump her feet to get set (I use the term rip the glove to talk about how the glove's motion moves the feet) and make a throw or if she needs more power on the throw she can do a modified cross in front step with her throwing foot to start a shuffle to 1st base. If the ball went glove side then the glove side turn is going to be her only chance. It takes a lot of reps, but when she gets it she will have a great tool for use anywhere on the field. Make sure her head leads her around and spots the target before she stops rotating her body.

Aug 15, 2014
My question would be why is she playing there ?
If she has no future at that position, she is taking away reps from where she will be playing..
No offense..