Glove Relace Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 16, 2022
Great job.. About that knot, to tie a correct square knot, remeber right over left granny knot, then left lace over right granny!
What you're describing is an overhand knot. A granny knot is an incorrectly tied square knot.

Sep 19, 2018
Thanks. It is not nearly as hard to re-lace as I expected. The only issue is cutting the ends to get a good lock on the lace.

The glove had gotten so deep I felt like I was losing the ball in the glove. So I bought myself a Wilson 1787 to replace it. The Wilson is a beautiful glove. But it is just too shallow for me.

Re-lacing seems to have brought the Rawlings back to a ….”size” I like. I wish I did it earlier.

I am already thinking of my next project. I have an old (5 years) Rawlings Gold Glove Elite catchers mitt. I’ve replaced it with a HOH catchers mitt. So maybe take a chance on redoing a catchers mitt.

I have 1 full and 2 half pieces of 1/4 inch and 4 full and 1 half piece of 3/16. I am pretty sure I need another 1/4 inch lace. Which is annoying to have to buy one lace and pay shipping.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Thanks. It is not nearly as hard to re-lace as I expected. The only issue is cutting the ends to get a good lock on the lace.

The glove had gotten so deep I felt like I was losing the ball in the glove. So I bought myself a Wilson 1787 to replace it. The Wilson is a beautiful glove. But it is just too shallow for me.

Re-lacing seems to have brought the Rawlings back to a ….”size” I like. I wish I did it earlier.

I am already thinking of my next project. I have an old (5 years) Rawlings Gold Glove Elite catchers mitt. I’ve replaced it with a HOH catchers mitt. So maybe take a chance on redoing a catchers mitt.

I have 1 full and 2 half pieces of 1/4 inch and 4 full and 1 half piece of 3/16. I am pretty sure I need another 1/4 inch lace. Which is annoying to have to buy one lace and pay shipping.
That’s how it starts, next you’ll be hunting for gloves at PIAS to rescue.

Nov 18, 2015
Untie that main web knot and start over, not sure if this makes sense….untie it, when you start the first knot make sure the top and bottom lace are vertical heel to web, than tie the second knot exactly opposite from the first one and it will finish horizontal from thumb to pinky, make sense?
I consider myself pretty well-versed regarding knots - and I had no idea you were trying to describe how to tie a square knot! 😬

I do think it was already a square knot in the first pic, but the extra twist where the lace came up from the glove made the knot look smaller than it normally does.

"Over and under with the same end twice" is another phrase that could be helpful. IME, 10-12 YO boys don't always have "left" and "right" fully memorized.

@cnardone - you'll probably be fine with the catcher's mitt, but know that if you're doing a full re-lace, there's at least one palm lace (at least there is on a mizuno I partially re-did) then starts inside the glove. Drove me crazy trying to figure out where the lace was ending - I ended up confirming my suspicion with a glove repair guy at a local tournament. Since I wasn't ready to fully open up the mitt and redo the heel lacing, I just re-did everything else. But again, since you already had this one all apart, I say do it, take lots of pics, and show us the results!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles