Glove Relace Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
I am going to take a shot at relacing my old HOH 1005. I went to https://www.buyfastpitchgloves.com/ and bought 6 - 3/16 and 3 - 1/4 laces. I did measure and the 1005 does use 1/4 at the top. I bought enough for another glove if this goes well and I enjoy it.

Reading deeper in the site they mention thinning the laces for the palm. I did not do that option. Should I buy more and have it skived? Or am I worried about nothing?

Thanks in advance.
CMN

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I am going to take a shot at relacing my old HOH 1005. I went to https://www.buyfastpitchgloves.com/ and bought 6 - 3/16 and 3 - 1/4 laces. I did measure and the 1005 does use 1/4 at the top. I bought enough for another glove if this goes well and I enjoy it.

Reading deeper in the site they mention thinning the laces for the palm. I did not do that option. Should I buy more and have it skived? Or am I worried about nothing?

Thanks in advance.
CMN
Lots (most) of your big time re-lacers / restorers skive their lace for the palm, I never have, in fact I don’t think I had ever heard of this until two or three years ago…

There’s been times I’ve thought the lace you can see and feel on the inside palm liner was a little rude and you could feel it was a little taller and the edges were too sharp on a new re-lace.

I’ve started soaking a shop rag with conditioner and pulling the lace through it several times to soften the lace up.

Did you get yourself a Perma-Lok needle?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Yep. Got the perma lock. Both sizes. I don’t think I’ll ever use the small one
There's been times.....but the larger needle will cover probably 98% of your needs.

Have you ever used a Perma-Lok needle? There's definitely a trick that Dan Davis showed me, at first I thought he was BS'ing me, but he wasn't!

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I always skive the laces for the palm.. It definitely makes it less bulky and possibly easier to close.

But honestly, I can't imagine that it makes that much difference.

Relacing gloves is like making those Japanese zen sand gardens, really therapeutic!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles