Glove hand position on upswing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2011
Today I taped my DD pitching for the first time and while I am not quite sure what is good and bad about her form (other than the obvious leaning forward at release) one thing that struck me was that in her initial upswing her glove hand stays lower than her ball hand. After reviewing a dozen videos of elite pitchers I have found that every one of them has their glove higher than the ball at least until their ball hand is at the 9:00 position (arm parallel to the ground in upswing). Most raise their glove hand over their heads during the initial move forward. So I am wondering - Is this a cause or a symptom of a mechanical flaw and what to do about it?

Thanks!

Jul 26, 2010
A lot of new pitchers have a tendency to drop the glove hand, or not raise enough, or otherwise be "lazy" with it. I have them raise it slightly above shoulder height to counteract the habit of letting it dip as the day goes on. Remember, on their leg drive, they are not only driving off the rubber, but "throwing" their body forward with their ball hand, glove hand, and stride foot. That glove is weighty and adds a bit of momentum in the process.

-W

Feb 17, 2011
A lot of new pitchers have a tendency to drop the glove hand, or not raise enough, or otherwise be "lazy" with it. I have them raise it slightly above shoulder height to counteract the habit of letting it dip as the day goes on. Remember, on their leg drive, they are not only driving off the rubber, but "throwing" their body forward with their ball hand, glove hand, and stride foot. That glove is weighty and adds a bit of momentum in the process.

-W

Put a little sticker in palm of glove and have her show it to the catcher as she delivers the ball.

Attachments

• 198055_194753613896747_100000863295679_471367_6768509_n.jpg
    198055_194753613896747_100000863295679_471367_6768509_n.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 30
Mar 15, 2011
Oh the pitfalls of digital watches!

I'm thinking the question was concerning whether it's 3:00 from the pitcher's perspective or the observer's perspective. I may be 180 degrees out of phase but my take is the photo above is showing the ball and glove together in the 3:00 position...

Apr 13, 2011
Yes the position taken in that photo which I guess is considered the 9:00 position. Maybe it should be called "midway through the upswing" for clarification purposes?

Oct 22, 2009
I like my pitchers gloves to be slightly above the shoulder, any lower and they tend to dip forward early.

Mar 18, 2009
La Crosse WI
A couple of weeks ago, Peter Meredith held a 2 day clinic in La Crosse WI. Did 1 hr sessions with 5-6 pitchers. Very interesting.
He uses the typical New Zealander delivery (see Bill Hillhouse) where the glove arm swings back with the ball arm, the glove covering the ball both on the swingback and forward until the ball arm is past the body and swinging up.
Anyway, Meredith recommends continuing to swing the glove arm up until the glove is eye-level, and the pitcher can use it like a rifle sight -- looking right down the arm, over the glove, and directly at the catcher's mitt.
I attended a Rick Pauly clinic 2 years ago, where he advocates swinging the glove arm in sync (and parallel) with the ball arm -- first to the rear past the leg(s), then forward until the glove arm reaches 10:00. At this point, the pitcher is in the classic pose seen in most pictures, outstretched arms and legs forming an X or a K. Then Rick has the pitchers sweeping both arms down in sync, and uses the analogy of making snow angels.
Jim

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck