Glad I found this site! Need some input.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Hello. I am an assistant coach on my DD's 10u rec league team (she turned nine this month and played up). Another coach and I are considering starting a 10U TB team for the spring. ALL of the girls will be no older than nine when the spring season starts. Our thoughts are it is better to take our lumps early as a team and have two full years to develop. We can "buy in" to a local rec league in the spring and look to tourneys through the summer. Any suggestions to prepare the girls for what is in store would be appreciated. Would you limit the number of games their first year and spend more time practicing? Should we hold an open try-out, or start with kids and parents we know (HOPE!) won't be trouble? etc. Thank you in advance for your help.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Hello. I am an assistant coach on my DD's 10u rec league team (she turned nine this month and played up). Another coach and I are considering starting a 10U TB team for the spring. ALL of the girls will be no older than nine when the spring season starts. Our thoughts are it is better to take our lumps early as a team and have two full years to develop. We can "buy in" to a local rec league in the spring and look to tourneys through the summer. Any suggestions to prepare the girls for what is in store would be appreciated. Would you limit the number of games their first year and spend more time practicing? Should we hold an open try-out, or start with kids and parents we know (HOPE!) won't be trouble? etc. Thank you in advance for your help.

1) If you want to be a travel team, reconsider playing rec at all. At that age there are travel tourneys year-round. Playing rec ball will be detrimental to the girls.

2) Practice and play as much as you can. Practice at least 2x week , play as much as can afford (time and $). Work on weaknesses as they are revealed.

3) only hold an open tryout if you want to field a good team.

4) People you know will be the most trouble of all. Ask them to start a team and they will think they have some right to play first over kids that are taken later.

Aug 16, 2010
I agree with MB. Select ball is a different animal than rec ball most places. There are so many variables to success it would be impossible to advise you in a post. However, here are my thoughts - if you opt to "take your lumps" make sure every parent and child understands. Unreasonable expectations will create serious problems. If you opt to p/u a few accomplished players to ease the pain - they will become frustrated quickly if your younger kids don't make progress.

Our 14u is a combination of the best players off of 3 winning teams with years of experience traveling all over the country. We have independent coaches (former 4 year D1 player and D3 coach). Expectations are very high and if anybody doesn't carry their weight it is immediately addressed. You've got to play to stay.

Our 12u is brand new and made up of all 10s. We decided to shoot for a big 2012 and everybody signed off on that. We remind the parents and kids after every practice and outing that we are building for the future. Nonetheless, they are 8-4 this fall and 3 of those losses were against experience winning '98 teams. Even with our constant reminders - I can see expectations creeping up with every tourney. We've been playing close to home - next Spring when we begin real traveling - I can see some frustrating times ahead. Hopefully, the wheels will stay on.

There will be $$ issues, tax issues, deciding when and where to travel and play, discipline issues, commitment issues, etc. - be prepared.

My best advise would be to solicit help from experienced, ETHICAL select ball people with good reputations. I don't know how far you are from Murfreesboro - they have a strong organization there, Lady Warriors. We have played them in tourneys all over the South - seem to be well coached and well run groups. If you know anyone with that group - or one like them - they could be a great asset.

Good luck and welcome - this is a great site.

CoachJ5513

BlueJ5513
Sep 29, 2010
Texas
One thing you can bet on is that it will be extremely hard to maintain a group of "kids and parents we know". Typically, a team that is starting out will have a nucleus of 4-7 "committed players" and 3-5 "floaters". You have to decide early if you want to have a group of friends whose kids play together, or if you want to field the best team possible. My advice would be to stay true to the ages (all 99s, 00s, etc.), and to play tournaments exclusively.

Good Luck!

Feb 9, 2009
Was her Rec team (where most of these girls are coming from, I assume) the beasts in the league? Were they undefeated?
...because if they couldn't shut down all the rec teams, they will absolutely fail in the TB world...

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Thank you everyone. Your input is greatly appreciated. Stephanie, the girls are coming from different teams in two different rec leagues. Two played up in 10U. Some have played 8U TB, others have been invited to try out for other TB teams. We as coaches want to put together a team where the girls don't have to play 125+ games their first year out. I feel practice time will be more beneficial to a new group of girls playing together for the first time. bigboyk... too late!

Jun 16, 2010
Practice is important, but only if you practice the right things, the right way. Otherwise you are wasting everyones time.

Practice is beneficial, but playing is FUN. You must play or they will be bored to tears.

You also will have no idea what you need to work on , and what you dont, and who does well where, and who doesnt. It is a slow iterative process to develop a bunch of girls into the most competitive team that they can be.

Feb 8, 2009
When I started years ago, we had the girls play rec during the week and a few travel tournaments on the weekends. We felt the kids regressed from playing league, so that was the last year of that. You need to play tournaments. There is no substitute for game experience, especially facing live pitching. Give them the best fundamental base you can during practices, and you'll see rapid improvement. Play a schedule that fits your experience level. But, play some A teams so your kids and parents see how the other half lives. Have fun. In 2 years, this year's struggles will just seem like a bad dream.

Jul 26, 2010
I'd recommend having your daughters join an existing travel team, offering to be an assistant, and play a year learning the ropes before you go out and start your own team. That isn't really fair to the girls considering they will be playing against other teams with experienced coaches.

-W

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish