getting worried

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
my dd is amazing....love that girl so much (that was her input obviously)

but seriously...

my dd is a young 14u catcher. she is pretty much the only catcher on her team. there is another girl who has caught some in practice, but not really any game experience so far.

the coach decided he needed to develop another pitcher for an upcoming tourney. and my dd was the best option.

so he informed me that she will be getting some mound time this weekend. YIKES! I don't know how to be a pitcher mom. Not to mention it will be the blind leading the blind with an inexperienced pitcher AND catcher.

This is a building year for our team. we are going into this weekend, which is a 7gg, with the expectation of a great practice experience.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Why would anyone go into a 7 game weekend with one pitcher? Why would you tell your catcher mid week that she is going to pitch?
I mean, really! And some of you, think that HS softball is bad.

what Amy said!
Some mound time?....remind coach in fastpitch.... its called a 'circle', baseball has the mound!

I really hope your DD has had a little pitching experience before diving in. Keep expectations low...please. You never know, DD could really enjoy it. Hopefully her coach will get her as much practice time as possible before her 1st game. I mean really....does your DD have proper mechanics? If she has no clue I would consider forbidding her to pitch until shes been properly trained! WAY to many bad things can happen to her physically....not to mention mentally. A brand new pitcher throwing to 14yo best be ready for linedrives smashed back at her! She seems like a skilled athlete, but with no game experience in the 'circle' against strong hitters...at least make sure shes wearing a facemask!

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
He has our main pitcher, plus the #2. Then he picked up 1 from another team, plus he has my DD.

On my DD's previous team, we entered this same tourney with 1 pitcher and a pickup. the pickup pitched 1 game, and our primadonna pitcher threw a fit.

And I stand corrected on the terminology. Even though I am pretty sure he also called it a mound. LOL!

She has pitched some in practice and he has been working with her mechanics. At home she throws about 200 pitches between her warmups and actual pitches a night. And she has been doing this for about 6 weeks. Not enough experience in the overall. I am just worried about her being on the other side of the pitch. I am clueless as to that role.

May 8, 2009
Florida
And why would a coach with at least two pitchers (plus a pickup) take his only trained catcher out of the mix. Someone is not thinking.

Apr 1, 2010
Since he's picking up a pitcher from another team, he'd better ask them to send their catcher along too! :-D

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
How to be a pitcher's parent:
1. Lots Vodka in the red cup
2. Xanax

Just Kidding!!

It takes a bit of getting used to being the parent of a pitcher....the 1st few times out you die a 1000 deaths with each walked or hit batter. It does get better and you do get used to the highs and lows, as does DD.

What's most important is to attend the game. DD will get all kinds of high 5's when successful and she will want to be with her friends & team mates. Parents are important to DD when it didn't go so well. Ice cream on the way home makes lots of no so pleasnat memeories go away quickly.

Best of luck.

Feb 9, 2009
Bring your Ipod and headphones, and a pad of paper to write down what she pitches, or to make out a grocery list, or even doodle!!
Works for me....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12