Getting serious

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She was into it from the beginning. She realized at an early age, probably even before me, that she could be really good at throwing the ball.
Also seems Lately her speed had increased but accuracy had suffered.

And your point is? Welcome to pitching--two steps forward and one step back.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
When did your daughter really get serious about her pitching and start enjoying it.

Mine always enjoyed it, but got more serious starting her last year 12u / first year 14u. For female ( softball ) pitchers that's when I see a lot of lights turn on. Your speed jumps a tad, your accuracy starts to be more common, and you'll find out what breaking pitches work for you.

I believe most pitchers ( BB & SB ) enjoy pitching when they get more confident beyond the initial fastball.

Oct 22, 2009
My DD was always a pretty talented pitcher, was always a starter, played on the better teams, placed top 10 in most nationals. That being said, she was never "serious" about pitching. It was always a chore for her to practice. She never dreamed about pitching for college. Then she was asked by a local team to go with them to one of those Colorado showcase tournaments and they ended up placing second in the tournament.
After she came home, colleges began contacting her. She had a shoe-box full of contacts and I think she actually realized that she could go to college and play ball. I really think before that happened she didn't think she was talented enough.

I also have a student that I have NEVER been able to light a fire under. She's a perfectionist to a fault coupled with an attitude and all she ends up doing is holding herself back.
Recently she went to a couple of evaluation camps, and came back with some pretty decent reviews, even JUCO's saying they'd take her right now. All of sudden now she's practicing more, and trying harder. I think the same thing happened with her. She never thought she was good enough to play at the college level, but once she realized she is, it gives her the confidence that all the work isn't for nothing.
So once the offers starting coming in she decided to get serious about it.

May 12, 2013
So basically sit back and enjoy the ride,I just thought maybe someone would analyze the video.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Interesting thread. I had a former player and at 14 she threw pretty hard. The problem was accuracy she would walk about 2 batters/inning. The team disbanded after that year....

Jump ahead to this year. She was playing on a "Showcase" team that didn't live up to the expectations. She didn't throw that many innings. They were at a Tournament with us and I went to watch. She started and actually threw pretty well. We needed another pitcher to take to Western Nats so I started talking to the parents. Both parents and kid said they would love for her to go. Well at Westerns I found out why she didn't pitch much. Out of 20+ innings, she had walked 18 batters. Talked to Dad and he said she doesn't practice at all on her own even when he tries to get her to throw. It's too bad too because she has potential.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
This is a really good question and I had to think about it...

At first it was clear that DD has been serious about pitching since day 1, but then I realized that she has LOVED TO PITCH since day 1. She got serious about pitching at 14 when she started pitching against "real" batters. That is when she started wanting to practice and she started asking her PC about the mental side of pitching.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
DD has always enjoyed pitching. Even when she didn't have a clue, no Pc and no training at all. The pitcher on her 10u team showed DD how to use the rubber and that was about it. DD didn't care she still wanted to pitch. Her coach at that time was great. Anytime our team had a comfortable lead he let DD pitch. We all new age didn't have a clue but it didn't stop her.
Took a few seasons off. Found a new team in Oct last year. A rec league had 2 12u teams and 1 pitcher. New coach asked if she can pitch DD said yes. I cringed because i knew he idea of pitching and his were not the same. Anyway, Got PC in feb. dd only pitcher on the rec team. Became #1 pitcher on her tb team. Her rec team took 2nd place this spring.

Ooohhjj dang sorry I got to reminiscing :( I don't want her to grow up :'(

She became very serious at 13 when I started taking her to the HS games. I don't think I have ever seen her pay such close attention to anything. I feel it was her seeing her future and watching these great players strike out, get tagged out, pitch a couple in the dirt etc she realized she had something to work towards.
The hs coach is very cool. She took some time to meet dd and after that DD went blitzo!!! Brought her grades up from low 70s to high 80's & 90's. it was like I had somebody else's kid in my DD body.
She has become so serious that sometimes it's not fun. But at the age of 13 has picked 2 university that she wants to play ball for and has picked her major/career goals.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA