Getting Paid???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2012
I know one "coach" who makes a killin. A few months back he cancelled a jr high practice and told the team they needed to come pay him for hitting lessons. This consisted of him using the school facilities for batting practice. His usual hitting lessons have 20-30 girls hitting in three cages for 10 bucks an hour. Last yr same the same guy coached a 10u "rec" team and charged kids $250 bucks for uniforms. There are way more people like phathead out there, that's the kind of payment I want. People making money off a kids desire to play softball sickens me.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If the HC/manager does not have a child on the team, she/he usually has some way to generate money from the team. Sometimes it is through additional fees and sometimes it is through steering the parents to lessons.

It is always funny to see the response to the idea that a TB coach might make money. (God forbid that Gary Hanig, a guy who runs the top TB softball program in the US and has helped hundreds of girls get financial aid totaling in the millions of dollars would make any money. He should do it simply for the joy of helping kids!)

Basically, people want:

(1) A person highly skilled at instruction in softball.
(2) A person who can efficiently manage a team
(3) A person who will give up 8 or more weekends in the summer, and probably one or two nights a week.
(4) A person who can handle *the* most difficult children in the world--teenage girls.
(5) A person with connections to college softball coaches.
(6) A person who can "play well" with demanding parents who have less knowledge about athletes in general and softball in particular than the average rodent.

And, they want the same person to do all of that for free.

(It is very similar to teachers...people want highly skilled, dedicated individuals who will work cheap because it is such a great experience to take care of someone else's kids.)

People making money off a kids desire to play softball sickens me.

Why would anyone with genuine skill and expertise in an area expect to make money in the United States of America? Doesn't everyone work for free?

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
If the HC/manager does not have a child on the team, she/he usually has some way to generate money from the team. Sometimes it is through additional fees and sometimes it is through steering the parents to lessons.

It is always funny to see the response to the idea that a TB coach might make money. (God forbid that Gary Hanig, a guy who runs the top TB softball program in the US and has helped hundreds of girls get financial aid totaling in the millions of dollars would make any money. He should do it simply for the joy of helping kids!)

Basically, people want:

(3) A person who will give up 8 or more weekends in the summer, and probably one or two nights a week.
(4) A person who can handle *the* most difficult children in the world--teenage girls.
(6) A person who can "play well" with demanding parents who have less knowledge about athletes in general and softball in particular than the average rodent.

(It is very similar to teachers...people want highly skilled, dedicated individuals who will work cheap because it is such a great experience to take care of someone else's kids.)

Why would anyone with genuine skill and expertise in an area expect to make money in the United States of America? Doesn't everyone work for free?

It's called being a volunteer.
It's called being a parent.

You are teaching children to play a sport, not run a business. When they get to college and beyond it becomes a business.

You might charge to cover costs but I couldn't imagine charging children to learn how to play a sport.

Damn that is short sighted (and depressing).

To each his own...

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Awesome! I'm getting this put on my business card!

"Plays well with demanding parents who have less knowledge about athletes in general and softball in particular than the average rodent."

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

Basically, people want:

Most parent volunteer coaches fully satisfy criteria #3 only and deserve tons of thanks for their time and effort. Any volunteer parent who satisfies all the other criteria and will work for free is a godsend and rarity IMO. I have no reservation paying someone to provide instruction if they meet #1 AND #6. And no problem paying someone to coach if they meet #1 through 6.

PS Does anyone really meet criteria 4?

Apr 9, 2012
There are many programs that will tell you they are not volunteer and offer advantages over mom and pop clubs.

If you have a specific goal in this sport one option is to pay for a coach/recruiter/instructor within a proven college driven program.

If I got paid and quit my day job I could only imagine the opportunities I could provide over what I currently do......it exists and is a option.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
There are many programs that will tell you they are not volunteer and offer advantages over mom and pop clubs.

If you have a specific goal in this sport one option is to pay for a coach/recruiter/instructor within a proven college driven program.

If I got paid and quit my day job I could only imagine the opportunities I could provide over what I currently do......it exists and is a option.

To do what some want or expect a coach to do is unrealistic if its not a full-time job. Most volunteer parents just don't have the time, experience, or ability. We just try to do our best for our DDs and the other kids we coach.

Apr 9, 2012
To do what some want or expect a coach to do is unrealistic if its not a full-time job. Most volunteer parents just don't have the time, experience, or ability. We just try to do our best for our DDs and the other kids we coach.

We all do our absolute best :) I was thinking if I hit the lottery I could be a full time coach.....wow the opportunities I wish I had!

Jan 31, 2011
I have have never been paid, but I can see the merit of paying a coach if the organization is good. I started out as just a daddy wanting to help out. Then started a TB team for DD#2 because of the fun DD#1 had on her team. I have coached for 6 years and attended numerous clinics paid by me. I have bought equipment out of my own pocket, but I own it (Jugs machines, screens, balls, etc.) I volunteered those years, but I do not begrudge others who get paid. Its their deal. Actually, I pay an awesome lady for hitting lessons for DD#3. Its just easier and it means more if the info is not coming from Daddy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie