getting frustrated

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thank you LC.

Speaking of "gracious" ... that word is an excellent description of "you".

I had lunch with a lady this past week that spoke of someone on the UoW team. They said that the dad was extremely gracious and housed their kid during some softball activity (I forget the details). I asked if the kid at the UoW was your daughter, and they said yes. The discussion drifted to you and how you've helped others improve their swing mechanics.

Their daughter will be attending the UoW this year. She is a pitcher. Small world.

Jul 20, 2010
Thanks Five.

In regards to "getting frustrated"---I have things we do with hitters.

Nothing revolutionary but may help with the the translation from BP to games.

Let me first say that in BP there are always things to work on mechanically.
In this thread I hear (as Pepper stated) the frustration of "reverting".

When going thru BP it is soooo very easy when a kid is on a roll to let them continue. Squaring up ball after ball and both the coach and student enjoying the "moment."

Best working with 2 hitters at a time for the following:

One of the things we incorporate is situations. 0-0 count no one on, for example.

I will ask the hitter,
"How many swings would you say you get in any ONE at bat?" 2, 3, 5 ? Of course it varies.

My suggestion is---- after going thru your routine, whatever that includes, put your hitter into a new / different mind set. An at bat. Watch for preparation to hit (among other things), watch their pitch selection. Put them in a mind set that they go thru their "between pitch" routine. Simulate live as close as you can. Once they swing, and put a ball "in play",,,call out what you believe the result to be. At that point their turn / their at bat is over---next hitter steps in.

Try your best not to coach during this,
You may ask things like:
"Early, late, or on time?"
"Good pitch?" (Emphasis here- I don't want them to just wait for a fatty.)
"Where was that pitch?" (Don't laugh, younger kids will guess, and you will know it. :D)

This, imo, serves a couple of purposes---it gets the hitter to focus in more and provides a little competition between the two hitters...in a good way.

And.....It only serves to "simulate live"---because--- as we know--- nothing can replace it.
However, preparing them to know that they don't get "another one right away" is valuable.
They realize, imo, the importance of an at bat. They are afterall, on OFFENSE.
Instead of them "missing a good pitch" knowing that we will keep chucking them more pitches, the reality of getting "limited" opportunity begins to sink in---translation to perhaps a "more proper" mind set--- in games.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
I’ve seen the University of Tennensse at Chattanooga (UTC) coaching staff use the same type of practice routine. UTC is a good hitting D2 team with a good staff, this works great for experience players, maybe a little advanced for some of the younger players. Just my thoughts.

I have used a game in practice where each batter comes to the plate with a 3 ball and 2 strike count, the game goes fast and gives the hitters experience. We also play a game ever player lines up with a batting helmet and bat. They get one pitch, if they make contact, they get back in line. They miss they go to the field shag balls, we keep going until one hitter is remaining, first time in the box contact, then it must be a fair ball, then out of the infield and so on. We do the same with bunting.

May 28, 2008
thanks everyone........I was having a bad week. I have gained some great insight and I thank everyone for their posts!

Oct 19, 2009
I had the pleasure of working for a man who was a FBI agent for 30 years. He started a drug program in local schools. He was criticized for the money he spent on the program. Three officers, three cars, uniforms and etc. I don’t remember the exact numbers, but it cost X amount of dollars for the program, it cost X amount of dollars to house one person in prisons for a year. He figured if he reached just one kid a year it would more than pay for the program.

Maybe look at it like he did if you can reach one kid it would be worth the effort.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06