Georgia-Bama Game - Framing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 9, 2011
Ajay so your saying she shouldn't be playing in D1 SEC??? That she doesn't know the difference? LOL ok that's a joke.... She took what the ump was giving her. She worked the plate and positions.. I guess there are good reasons why some people ump and some coach.

Dec 9, 2011
I was actually commenting about Screwball saying a solo homer or 2 run homer is a rally killer. Just thought it was kind of funny.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
lol lol She may not know the difference but she can play the game..

Never said she couldn't. But it doesn't help that someone with her experience and reputation is promoting fallacies to an audience that includes impressionable young players and coaches who assume that she knows what she's talking about, does it now. That's my point.

Dec 9, 2011
Ok just wanted to see what your point was. So you know what your talking about? I guess you wrote the bible on fastpitch. Will someone call ESPN and tell them to get intouch with Greenmonster so he can do the play by play for remainder of the games. Just my point.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Ok just wanted to see what your point was. So you know what your talking about? I guess you wrote the bible on fastpitch. Will someone call ESPN and tell them to get intouch with Greenmonster so he can do the play by play for remainder of the games. Just my point.

Sorry to offend your sensibilities Joe. I never claimed to be an author or commentator, just merely a concerned parent and coach who has spent far too much time having to correct fundamentally flawed mechanics promoted by experts and talking heads who should know better to ignorant viewers and coaches who don't and therefor accept it as gospel. I take it you don't have any such issue so keep enjoying your Jim Jones cool aid.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I too watched the game and yes, a couple of pitches were "pulled back." However, the majority of the balls were caught by the catcher trying to get on the outside of the ball. IOW, good catchers read the ball and catch the "outside" portion of the ball and so, by attempting that action and then controlling the ball, the subsequent wrist action often makes it appear that they are pulling the ball back. Rather, it is wrist action and framing. The same for catching the "top," and/or "bottom" of the ball. Also, IMO, I have seen very good umpires establish rapport with both catchers where they say that "pulling the ball" is not appreciated.

Finally, imo, both catchers "pulled the ball" every so often and both "framed" the ball nicely as well. I didn't see either team get an advantage.

Nov 1, 2009
As was the case in this game the risk of not taking the grand slam is you don't get the four runs. I don't buy any of it, a grand slam always gets the team hitting amped up and kills the confidence of the pitcher. The other three runners go on somehow too and now the pitcher has the thought of blowing a seven run lead.

As far as framing. I don't think for a minute the catcher moving the ball had any impact on the umpire. The pitchers in college move the ball a lot and the ball caught four inches off the plate very well could have hit a corner on the way past. Umpires in college as a rule have a wider strike zone but not as tall compared to the ones in travel or HS. All any coach wants is the umpire to be consistant for both teams. Then it is up to the pitchers and coaches to adjust to the game.

Jul 14, 2010
New England
I understand what they were saying about a grandslam being a rally killer, but I think it depends on the batter that is up after the hit. In one of my games, my teammate hit a two run homer (I was on base), we had a big celebration because she's a senior, it was her first HR, etc. There was one out, and our next two hitters were not very experienced or strong hitters. Both of them grounded out to end the inning. So I think it depends on if you have a batter who is nervous because they feel they need to live up to the HR, or a batter that gets fired up to start the rally up again.

Regarding Jessica Mendoza, I love her. She is one of my role models, and I respect everything she has to say. It's so much nicer when she is commentating instead of some guy saying, "Wow a suicide squeeze I have never seen one of those! You don't see those at all in baseball, wow!" But, I'm pretty sure she was never a catcher. A great outfielder, but not a catcher. So I think that she's just saying what she sees as an experienced softball player, which might be a little different than what a NECC-trained catcher would see.

That's just my two cents, I was just happy to see the bulldogs scare bama. I've always like them Dawgs ever since I saw Kristin Schnake in the WCWS as a senior. Great team, scrappy players, and Lu Harris-Champer is a great coach. Don't get me wrong, I like Bama too, but I always am a Georgia fan.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06