Georgia-Bama Game - Framing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 9, 2012
Off the subject a little but I heard a commentator during the 6th inning speaking about the base runner running down the line to first and beating out a hit and passing first, then an overthrow. She made mention that if the runner passed first base and made even one step towards second, she could have been out when tagged by the defense. I could be wrong here but I believed that you have to make a legitimate attempt to advance to be at risk of being put out in this situation. I would not think a step to the left(towards second) would meet this standard and ultimately, it is the opinion of the umpire that matters.

This may be a new emphasis for umpires this year. I played in a big midwest tournament last week and umpires call my girls out at first twice for simply looking at second-no step and still on the baseline returning to first when they got tagged.

I was not happy nonetheless.

Dec 9, 2011
I thought Sandberg did an outstanding job. Not only framing, but positioning, and keeping her pitchers in control and communicating to her pitchers. I thought she framed the right pitches. She did a really nice job.

Dec 9, 2011
I don't know about a solo being a rally killer didn't Traina crack a solo and than alabama scored 3 more runs after that in the inning?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
It worked did it not?I guess once she knew the ump was going to give it to her,then why not?Now dont get started on Mendoza,she is the best commentator there is for the sport :D,I have to ask were you more upset about Bama losing or the catcher taking what the ump gave her.I watched the game and the ump was real slow on his calls.I myself liked watching Pat Murphy get beat,he just for some reason gets under my skin,I dont know why,just dont care for him.GO GATORS!!!!!!!!!

Well, I don't think it really worked because the umpire wasn't calling everything the catcher was pulling. As an umpire it shouldn't make a difference how or whether the catcher even catches a pitch, its simply whether it was in the zone as it passed the plate. But, with it as obvious as it was, the catcher's post-receiving re-location can be perceived by some umpires as an insult to their ability and intelligence. If the catcher simply made her same adjustment as she was catching the pitch, rather than after, she might have gotten more calls, but... at 65-70+ mph even the catcher doesn't have much time to react.

I hate slow calling umpires, too - at least he wasn't slow and quiet! And no, I had no favored dawg in the fight, just trying to watch and learn.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Speaking as an umpire....a catcher that pulls pitches can change a strike to a ball, but not vice versa.....

I make my decision as the ball crosses the area of the plate....if the catcher then catches the ball and tries to pull it in and/or down, she has just told me that she thought it was a ball, so I will oblige her.

What a lot of coaches and catchers need to learn is that pulling is not framing. I would expect a D1 catcher to know the difference.

Jan 25, 2011
Speaking as an umpire....a catcher that pulls pitches can change a strike to a ball, but not vice versa.....

I make my decision as the ball crosses the area of the plate....if the catcher then catches the ball and tries to pull it in and/or down, she has just told me that she thought it was a ball, so I will oblige her.

What a lot of coaches and catchers need to learn is that pulling is not framing. I would expect a D1 catcher to know the difference.
But as a ump,should you call them as you see them?Who are you robbing the catcher or the pitcher?Iam not trying to pick a fight but what you just said is a big load of crap,as a ump you are not suppose to take it personally.So you dont make your decision as the ball crosses the plate,you are reacting to what a player does,not by the rules.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

Thank you Ajay! You can add Mendoza and commentators to your list of those who need to learn the difference. There's a reason NECC travels the country putting on catching clinics.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I kind of understand this... you are down 7, you score 4 but you are now down 3 with no one on base and your big celebration of the grand slam has taken some of your momentum away. Now your next run is now 4 bases away and you have to build pressure again. The defense and pitcher can kind of go, OK, the bases are empty and we are still 3 up - let's start this over again.

So are you better scoring 2 on a single to right and being down 5 and having runners on 1st and 3rd? You now have options - the threat to steal, squeeze plays, etc, etc. Is it easier to build a big inning by scoring in 1 & 2 runs over several batters and having a constant pressure situation or scoring 4 and then trying to figure a way to build again 3 or 4 runs?

I think it depends on the inning and point in the game. 7th inning down more than an HR, the HR can be a "rally killer". Anything earlier though, give me the runs on the score board beacuse once up, they can't take them down.

Jan 25, 2011
Thank you Ajay! You can add Mendoza and commentators to your list of those who need to learn the difference. There's a reason NECC travels the country putting on catching clinics.
Iam pretty sure Mendoza knows about the this game,yes maybe what she said doesnt agree with you about catching.I have heard many great things about NECC and for all that those players that they trained,but when the player is in the game that doesnt mean that they wont do some framing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06