Georgia-Bama Game - Framing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Was getting very upset watching the Georgia catcher (Sandberg, I think) pulling close pitches and having Mendoza and the other talking heads compliment her on excellent framing. DD checked it out and said "Bet that umpire isn't real happy that the catcher is trying to call the game for him". Anyone else see this? Thoughts?

Jan 25, 2011
It worked did it not?I guess once she knew the ump was going to give it to her,then why not?Now dont get started on Mendoza,she is the best commentator there is for the sport :D,I have to ask were you more upset about Bama losing or the catcher taking what the ump gave her.I watched the game and the ump was real slow on his calls.I myself liked watching Pat Murphy get beat,he just for some reason gets under my skin,I dont know why,just dont care for him.GO GATORS!!!!!!!!!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
It worked did it not?I guess once she knew the ump was going to give it to her,then why not?

I agree. The ump couldn't have been too upset because he was giving her some of those close calls. I am pretty sure Sandburg figured that out because she REALLY started framing especially in the late game. She was moving some of those pitches quite some way to get to the ball in the zone.

Also I hate those umpires who take FOREVER to give the strike signal. If it is a strike then give the signal so that everyone can see it.

Aug 10, 2010
Off the subject a little but I heard a commentator during the 6th inning speaking about the base runner running down the line to first and beating out a hit and passing first, then an overthrow. She made mention that if the runner passed first base and made even one step towards second, she could have been out when tagged by the defense. I could be wrong here but I believed that you have to make a legitimate attempt to advance to be at risk of being put out in this situation. I would not think a step to the left(towards second) would meet this standard and ultimately, it is the opinion of the umpire that matters.

Jun 18, 2010
Here is an exchange between the announcers (Jessica Mendoza, Michelle Smith, Beth Mowins) I also thought was interesting. I couldn't tell which made the comment Mendoza or Smith.

Announcer 1: That's the hit that Alabama needed. A grand slam right there really wouldn't have done them a lot of good cuz that's a rally killer. Now they put two runs up on the board now if you can get another big hit that's when you start to put those huge numbers on the board. So that's exactly the situation Alabama wanted.

Beth Mowins: And now there is bull pen activity, Amanda Locke

Announcer 2: I would think a grand slam would be like the rally motivator. (Laughter) I have never heard a grand slam is a rally killer.

Announcer 1: When your are down by more that four runs it's a rally killer. They got to start all over.

Beth Mowins: They got to start over?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I was dosing and woke to DW yelling "outside corner? Outside corner of the batters box maybe.". I opened one eye enough for replay of catch pulling in about 4 inches.

Dec 7, 2011
Watching that game => Is there a new precedent set here that whenever your ace pitcher gets a bit flustered ya call out the grounds-crew to do mound maintenance...? This is one way to settle the mojo in the crowd and home team.....

Dec 7, 2011
Oh, but on topic now :) =>

I am all for any catcher that can affect an umpire in a positive manner. The thing ya got to watch for are those catchers that do good framing but don't have the positive impact on "blue",...but end up making enemies. Coaches are better off telling those adversarial catchers to play it mellow.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Announcer 2: I would think a grand slam would be like the rally motivator. (Laughter) I have never heard a grand slam is a rally killer.
Announcer 1: When your are down by more that four runs it's a rally killer. They got to start all over.

Beth Mowins: They got to start over?

I kind of understand this... you are down 7, you score 4 but you are now down 3 with no one on base and your big celebration of the grand slam has taken some of your momentum away. Now your next run is now 4 bases away and you have to build pressure again. The defense and pitcher can kind of go, OK, the bases are empty and we are still 3 up - let's start this over again.

So are you better scoring 2 on a single to right and being down 5 and having runners on 1st and 3rd? You now have options - the threat to steal, squeeze plays, etc, etc. Is it easier to build a big inning by scoring in 1 & 2 runs over several batters and having a constant pressure situation or scoring 4 and then trying to figure a way to build again 3 or 4 runs?

Jan 25, 2011
Well said,Marriard you see that happen alot, next batter comes up, pop fly or grounder for a out and inning is over.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06