Game situation - coaching opinions wanted

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
Maryland
I would use the pitcher to back up any throws to the catcher at home if necessary, but at 10U I have not instructed the pitcher to cover 3rd on a bunt.... Many have different bunt coverages that work, and many teams don't.

But again, if they threw to 2nd, I would be asking them why??... I just don't think the play is going to be made at 2nd at the younger age (many times at the upper levels as well) if it is a good bunt, the girl on first should be nearing 2nd when the ball is picked up by the fielder, unless she tripped and fell on her way there.

Jun 15, 2011
I would use the pitcher to back up any throws to the catcher at home if necessary, but at 10U I have not instructed the pitcher to cover 3rd on a bunt.... Many have different bunt coverages that work, and many teams don't.

But again, if they threw to 2nd, I would be asking them why??... I just don't think the play is going to be made at 2nd at the younger age (many times at the upper levels as well) if it is a good bunt, the girl on first should be nearing 2nd when the ball is picked up by the fielder, unless she tripped and fell on her way there.

My 12u team has only gone to second one time on a bunt with runner on 1st this season. This was a case where the ball was bunted directly back to the pitcher and my pitcher turned and threw out lead runner by several steps. She wasn't coached to make that play because we had talked about it being "fool's gold" to try to get the lead runner in most cases. However...in this instance...she made the correct decision. But we coach to get the out at first and for the first baseman to push off the bag to hold the runner at 2nd.

I see the point about using the catcher to cover 3rd and I believe the logic is sound. However momentum of the 3rd baseman or pitcher has never been an issue in covering
3rd to prevent a runner from going from one to three. I can't think of a single time in the last two years that a runner went one to three with us using 3rd or pitcher to cover three.

May 23, 2008
I think the key is to have someone at or near the bag by the time the runner is rounding 2nd. Who it is doesn't matter, just the fact that it is not a free base is enough to hold the runner. As I stated earlier, we use the LF, yes we are exposed to an overthrow, but in about 70 games this year we have only had 1 throw to third from first to make a play. I do not know how many times the runner held at 2nd, but I will take the odds.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I'm of the opinion that ss covers 2nd with a runner on 1st. We have had several plays where the bunt goes about a foot in front of the plate and stops. Catcher fields the ball and throws straight to ss. If CF is covering, there is no way you can risk the throw to 2nd unless you are prepaired to turn a bunt into a home run on one error. Same goes for throwing behind the runner with CF covering.

Pitcher or 3rd covers 3. If they can't get there in time (would have to be completely not paying attention) LF can move in to at least cover the bag to keep runner from advancing to an ungaurded base. I really don't want to see my catcher covering 3rd. Pitcher or 3rd, either one could certainly get there faster without all that equipment.

The general rule for whether or not the runner goes 1st to 3rd on a bunt is: Can the runner beat the fielder to the bag. As long as someone is there, they're not going to try, so why waist the ss by sending her to a base you know there will be no play at? Why use your safety back up (CF) as a possible primary target for a force out of the lead runner? Or simply concede 2nd to the lead runner before the ball is put in play?

Younger ages may not ever make the throw to 2nd, but that is no excuse to teach them a defensive positioning that will be completely changed at the higher levels. It's never too early to teach them to do it right, even if they don't need it... yet.

Jun 15, 2011
I'm of the opinion that ss covers 2nd with a runner on 1st. We have had several plays where the bunt goes about a foot in front of the plate and stops. Catcher fields the ball and throws straight to ss. If CF is covering, there is no way you can risk the throw to 2nd unless you are prepaired to turn a bunt into a home run on one error. Same goes for throwing behind the runner with CF covering.

Pitcher or 3rd covers 3. If they can't get there in time (would have to be completely not paying attention) LF can move in to at least cover the bag to keep runner from advancing to an ungaurded base. I really don't want to see my catcher covering 3rd. Pitcher or 3rd, either one could certainly get there faster without all that equipment.

The general rule for whether or not the runner goes 1st to 3rd on a bunt is: Can the runner beat the fielder to the bag. As long as someone is there, they're not going to try, so why waist the ss by sending her to a base you know there will be no play at? Why use your safety back up (CF) as a possible primary target for a force out of the lead runner? Or simply concede 2nd to the lead runner before the ball is put in play?

Younger ages may not ever make the throw to 2nd, but that is no excuse to teach them a defensive positioning that will be completely changed at the higher levels. It's never too early to teach them to do it right, even if they don't need it... yet.

I agree 100%. If a centerfielder covered 2nd on bunts when I was playing a team I would show bunt and steal second everytime. I would love those odds.

Jun 28, 2011
it is easier for LF to come in to cover three bag in this situation. They need to be heads up and when they see the bunt. It is easier for them to cover going forward and get there much faster and on the bag before the girl even turns second, as opposed to the pitcher going in for the bunt then changing her direction completely to cover three bag. It will then be a race to the bag.

Jun 28, 2011
Pitcher is always the last option to cover a bag. If runner on first only, third and first charge with pitcher. If third doesn't field ball she goes back to her bag. If she does catcher covers third. This is fundamental softball. Shortstop has second, 2B has first. Outfielders should NEVER be covering the bag, you are leaving no back up.

No high level team would do it any other way.

my thinking on LF covering third is if the bag is covered honestly with odds. How many runners on two would try to take third? the answer is rare and minimal. The odds of holding the runner at two are much higher than them actually going for third with LF covering and it being a pretty easy out. Ill take the odds :) the Reason being is the LF can get there in plenty of time, so the base coach will see the coverage and hold the runner. Overthrows in this case would be super rare :)

Feb 10, 2010
Orlando, FL
IMO, either 3rd baseman or Pitcher covers 3rd base when a runner is on first and the batter bunts. Which ever one doesn't field the bunt (3rd baseman covers if neither of them field the bunt). The pitcher, if she is 35 feet from home, then after her pitch, she is about 35 to 40' from 3rd base. I'd never have an outfielder cover a base because of the possibility of an overthrow. I'd like the thank all the coaches I've worked with over the years.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
We usually only have one corner covering on a bunt. The pitcher reads the bunt and if its down the line that is not crashing, that is her ball. I don't think we allow any more bunt hits then a team that sends both corners. Typically if first base is anchored, the SS covers 3rd, if third base is the anchor then ss covers 2nd.

Apr 15, 2010
Richmond Va
This has become one of our most sucessful plays

-we teach 3B and P to read bunt, 3B crashes on soft bunts and P covers 3B
-P only fields or attempts to field L side push bunts, if she fields the push bunt 3B retreats to covers 3B, if she misses she continues to roll over and cover 3B
-2B always cover 1B
-SS always covers 2B unless they also read L side push bunt and they need to field the push bunt
-we ALWAYS take the out at 1B then it's an automatic throw behind the BR that advanced to 2B, most BR make an agressive turn at 2B in case of a bad throw to 1B.
-I can't believe how many extra outs we get on small ball teams or in late inning close games using this defense !
-If you show the other team you will throw behind them, they quickly become station to station BR and it keeps them honest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish