Funny how quickly things can change

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Over the summer, I posted a topic about some poor attitudes on my DD's team and how I was afraid it would tear the team apart. The HC was slow to react and make a move that could cause the team to fall apart.

Update- 2nd to last tournament of the summer it all boiled over and HC finally hit his tipping point. Two players were excused from the team for "parent" issues. It was a difficult sitiuation and a move that should have been done much earlier in the season.

The team was able to pick up a player and finish the summer. Chemestry of the team was incredible and they played great. People took notice.

Fast forward to fall practices. Entire group we finished with and a few more show up for workouts. Then a couple teams locally have issues and a few more players start to show up. Suddenly we go from a team struggling to find 10 girls to finish the season, to a roster of 15 quality ball players. We even had to tell a couple girls they were not quite ready for the level of play, just yet. We found them homes on some other local teams that we knew needed players. The feel at practice is always upbeat and positive. The girls are pushing each other and encouraging max effort in the practices. There are girls flying all over the field, diving, sliding, hustling like I never seen.

Now the only concern is how do you keep 15 players happy with playing time? They all could start and play every inning elsewhere. I love what I am seeing, and am hopeful that these girls just want to be on a team that has similar work habits and goals as they do.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Joe, good for you and you dd. You are right about the 15. That will be a problem and will be a problem for the parents as well when each finds out their child's role on the team. It is kind of like college ball. A team has somewhere between 18-20 players on most college teams. Then, 9 are starters given the AH. (DH) So now, 9 parents are happy, one is kind of happy. that leaves 8-10 that are not. How do they respond? The success of the team will depend greatly upon that.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Glad it worked out for you, our coach failed to address the issues at all, so the team imploded.
Part of the good outcome for you is that the coach probably won't be so hesitant next time.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Fast forward to fall practices. Entire group we finished with and a few more show up for workouts. Then a couple teams locally have issues and a few more players start to show up. Suddenly we go from a team struggling to find 10 girls to finish the season, to a roster of 15 quality ball players. We even had to tell a couple girls they were not quite ready for the level of play, just yet. We found them homes on some other local teams that we knew needed players. The feel at practice is always upbeat and positive. The girls are pushing each other and encouraging max effort in the practices. There are girls flying all over the field, diving, sliding, hustling like I never seen.

Now the only concern is how do you keep 15 players happy with playing time? They all could start and play every inning elsewhere. I love what I am seeing, and am hopeful that these girls just want to be on a team that has similar work habits and goals as they do.

This is where I have a hard time with youth sports of today. Being raised that teams played team sports as a team for the team, the individual concerns of today's games (not just softball) just don't make any sense to me.

I would make sure each parent knows that you will be keeping the 15 players and that every effort will be made to provide each player with equal playing time. You may lose some and that will probably solve part of your problem. But that is just me, I'm sure there are folks with other options.

Jun 1, 2013
This is where I have a hard time with youth sports of today. Being raised that teams played team sports as a team for the team, the individual concerns of today's games (not just softball) just don't make any sense to me.

I would make sure each parent knows that you will be keeping the 15 players and that every effort will be made to provide each player with equal playing time. You may lose some and that will probably solve part of your problem. But that is just me, I'm sure there are folks with other options.

Your post contradicts itself. If it is about the team and not the individual , how and/or why would players get equal playing time? When coaches make promises like that then it is not about the team but about individual development. Trim your roster because there is no way you will keep all 15 families happy.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
To the OP, you all are lucky to have finally cut out the cancer. To often the team just disbands at the end of the season. Now you have something worth looking forward to. What age is the team...did I miss that?

DD's team carried 13 last year and will carry 14 this fall. Some pitchers do nothing else and Catchers sit after they are in so that takes care of some of it. Courtesy runners and batting more than 9 helps some more. I guess it's easier at 18U with the relaxed rules.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
To the OP, you all are lucky to have finally cut out the cancer. To often the team just disbands at the end of the season. Now you have something worth looking forward to. What age is the team...did I miss that?

DD's team carried 13 last year and will carry 14 this fall. Some pitchers do nothing else and Catchers sit after they are in so that takes care of some of it. Courtesy runners and batting more than 9 helps some more. I guess it's easier at 18U with the relaxed rules.

Team is an 18U team.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Your post contradicts itself. If it is about the team and not the individual , how and/or why would players get equal playing time? When coaches make promises like that then it is not about the team but about individual development. Trim your roster because there is no way you will keep all 15 families happy.

Not really. I noted my feelings and preferences and then made a suggestion of a possible way to handle this issue in today's world.

Besides, those who don't bail will probably be more acceptable to a team concept and supportive of all teammates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG