Frustration with lack of JV games

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
This is really interesting to me. My DD is at a Catholic school that is grades 7-12. This year, they have a MS team and Varsity, no JV. The Varsity team only has one senior; everyone else will be returning. There are also only 4 juniors. So, assuming no one new joins the team, they will only lose five players over the next two years. Team is loaded with '20 and '21 players. The MS team only has three 8th graders, one of whom is DD. Would it make sense for the school to divide the group into two next year for Varsity and JV or keep everyone together as Varsity (again, assuming no one new comes and no one quits)? Curious to see what will happen for DD in 9th next year.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
That really depends on so much. Can the school support another team (more equipment, uniforms, travel to games, umpire fees, etc.)? If so, do they have someone to coach? How big will the rosters be? Does the school keep everybody who tries or are there usually cuts?

My philosophy is to do everything possible to get everybody on a team, but we're building a new program and we have lots of girls who are new to the sport. If your school is established and a high level program, the coaches may not be interested in developing girls from the ground up, so they might prefer one varsity team of girls who can really play and that's it.

Aug 12, 2014
I know it's a numbers game. I would think coaches would want a JV team for player development. Our varsity has 6 seniors so they will be rebuilding in a big way next year. Having the JV team this year is huge in that regard to have 12 girls getting the practice time even with so few games.

The HC played 3 varsity girls in the infield to start today's JV game. We were playing a good team and he wanted to try to keep from getting run ruled to give all the JV players a chance to bat. I have mixed feelings about that. DD pitched the first three innings and we were down 12-1 so he put in one of the varsity girls to pitch to try to keep from getting run ruled. Unfortunately we couldn't score again so the game ended after 5, but all the JV players did get to bat at least once.

With the latest cancellation there are only two JV games left. HC is still trying to schedule a couple more but there are only two weeks left so I'm not optimistic. DD said she's disappointed it's almost over already, and the dad of one of the inexperienced players said his DD wants to play again next year, so they're having fun, which is what it's all about.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2015
dbronstein and Tatonka - wondering if you are on the South side of town? We are up on the north side and it seems like every school has at least V and JV and several have C teams as well. We actually went and watched some of DD's friends play in a JV tourney this weekend - 16 teams. (DD is still MS). There was some really good talent.

I am surprised to hear your experiences - makes me kind of nervous! I will say - I think I would cry if DD were put on some of these C teams - it looks like most of the girls have never touched a softball before! It seems like up here most of the JV games are at 4:15 - several schools have 2 fields and JV and V can play at the same time.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
dbronstein and Tatonka - wondering if you are on the South side of town? We are up on the north side and it seems like every school has at least V and JV and several have C teams as well. We actually went and watched some of DD's friends play in a JV tourney this weekend - 16 teams. (DD is still MS). There was some really good talent.

I am surprised to hear your experiences - makes me kind of nervous! I will say - I think I would cry if DD were put on some of these C teams - it looks like most of the girls have never touched a softball before! It seems like up here most of the JV games are at 4:15 - several schools have 2 fields and JV and V can play at the same time.

KP - I'm west side, our JV's were supposed to play in that tourney this weekend but...for the second year in a row the HC blew it for them. Some people should just never be allowed to coach (or have contact with young adults for that matter). Before people take that the wrong way, please understand that I know there are some great coaches, it can be a thankless job, etc... but there are also some really bad actors out there as well. Your experience may vary, I wouldn't wish this on any kid in HS.

Apr 26, 2015
KP - I'm west side, our JV's were supposed to play in that tourney this weekend but...for the second year in a row the HC blew it for them. Some people should just never be allowed to coach (or have contact with young adults for that matter). Before people take that the wrong way, please understand that I know there are some great coaches, it can be a thankless job, etc... but there are also some really bad actors out there as well. Your experience may vary, I wouldn't wish this on any kid in HS.

That stinks! So sorry! I would be incredibly frustrated! Pomona was killing the ball and Erie, A West and Brighton were playing really good too! Wanted to see Legacy step it up but there was some drama going on in the dugout. Wheat Ridge was a surprise - heard they brought half their V team (not sure if it's true or not) but they were good! We have nothing invested other than watching friends - we have no idea where DD will attend school yet.

Aug 12, 2014

We're in south Denver. The school that said their JV team "wasn't ready" was Standley Lake. The school that just canceled for this coming Saturday is Valor, and of all the schools you'd think they would have a JV team. We haven't been to any schools that have more than one field yet, so it's either a doubleheader or just the JV game.

About six girls on our JV team literally never played before, and several others had very limited experience. DD is the only pitcher and she doesn't throw very hard, so there is a lot of contact, even when we played a pretty weak team, and it's an adventure out there. Most of the girls have no situational awareness even when they are able to field the ball.

But again, it's still better that they get to play six JV games than sit on the bench for varsity. I just wish they could play a few more games.

Apr 26, 2015
Lol - we have a friend on Stanley Lake. Oh my gosh - they are definitely NOT ready for anything! We watched them in a scrimmage a couple weeks ago and it was humiliating to watch. They actually borrowed a pitcher from Legacy, Legacy gave them 6 outs per inning and they still lost something like 30-0. I don't think ANY of the girls have ever played before. I know thier HC is pulling his hair out. He has a pretty decent TB team. They could not catch anything! It was sad. Sad about Valor - you would think they would have a team. They sure have the facilities!

I'm sorry it has been so frustrating! I am definitely nervous about deciding on a school for DD next year. She attends a charter right now but we want to move her for HS. Softball is definitely a consideration - but academics first!

Aug 12, 2014
We would have been a perfect matchup for Standley. They should have played.

Softball was a consideration for DD in picking her school. It wasn't the overriding factor, but the other school she was considering doesn't have a team, they do a coop team with another school.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma