Frustration with lack of JV games

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
It has nothing to do with scheduling games. Except for the fact that strong softball programs usually start with 8U and when you have strong softball programs, you usually have plenty of players and teams. ime

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
It has nothing to do with scheduling games. Except for the fact that strong softball programs usually start with 8U and when you have strong softball programs, you usually have plenty of players and teams. ime

But we're talking school teams, not travel organizations.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
so am I. I coach HS modified and part of my responsibilities is reaching out to the Little League teams and making the connection from 8U to varsity. If my feeder teams are strong, then the whole program will benefit. here in my area, I see all sorts of other HS teams merging with other schools because of numbers. but not softball. why? because the little girls are playing and staying with it. true, some schools have done away with JV. I have coached both 7-8 and 7-9 modified and I think I like the 7-9 program better. it gives me an extra year to teach, allowing me to send a better player to varsity. the downside is having too many varsity players, but then you just go back to 3 levels. you need a foundation to keep the rain out of your house, eh.

Feb 7, 2013
A little different spin. At back to school night a few weeks ago, the head coach said the league decided to cut VARSITY games from 15 to 10 games so the teams only have to play each other twice during the season instead of 3 times! I don't know if this is to cut down on the travel time/costs (e.g. busing the kids to games) the HS coaches want an easier schedule, more time for academics (e.g. studying), accommodate travel/club softball, etc but I thought this was disappointing especially for the kids (like my sophomore DD) who only plays HS ball now. BTW - the HS pretty much practices year-round (summer in optional) and games are in the spring.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
so am I. I coach HS modified and part of my responsibilities is reaching out to the Little League teams and making the connection from 8U to varsity. If my feeder teams are strong, then the whole program will benefit. here in my area, I see all sorts of other HS teams merging with other schools because of numbers. but not softball. why? because the little girls are playing and staying with it. true, some schools have done away with JV. I have coached both 7-8 and 7-9 modified and I think I like the 7-9 program better. it gives me an extra year to teach, allowing me to send a better player to varsity. the downside is having too many varsity players, but then you just go back to 3 levels. you need a foundation to keep the rain out of your house, eh.

Gotcha.

Here we have to be careful with violating recruiting rules, though I can't imagine there are too many complaints about girls softball recruiting.

Anyway, I do agree with you. The school I'm at is K-12 (first year of having 12th graders). While it's a small school, I consider it an advantage to have K-8 right there. We started a 13U team in the spring, and next year I'm starting a 10U team as long as I can find someone I trust to coach it. If we have girls starting in 2nd grade, they will not only have a long time to learn the game before they get to high school, but they'll play with mostly the same girls the whole way through. And, of course, we may be more likely to keep them into high school. That's a problem we have since there are bigger, "real" high schools in our area for them to attend.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Yes, mostly because I have to. I'm not allowed to coach those teams during the HS season (those 13U/10U seasons extend about a month after the HS season ends, so I can be around them then). And, honestly, I'm not sure I can handle 10U. I work better with the older girls. More patience. :)

But "someone I trust" really means "someone who won't do wrist flicks or say 'squish the bug.'"

Aug 12, 2014
A little different spin. At back to school night a few weeks ago, the head coach said the league decided to cut VARSITY games from 15 to 10 games so the teams only have to play each other twice during the season instead of 3 times! I don't know if this is to cut down on the travel time/costs (e.g. busing the kids to games) the HS coaches want an easier schedule, more time for academics (e.g. studying), accommodate travel/club softball, etc but I thought this was disappointing especially for the kids (like my sophomore DD) who only plays HS ball now. BTW - the HS pretty much practices year-round (summer in optional) and games are in the spring.

That totally sucks. If it's a league decision, can the school add some non-league games? Our varsity plays more non-league games than league games (11 and 8). I am amazed at the amount of school they miss for softball (and I'm guessing it's similar for other sports). They leave 45 minutes early for all the road games. They had a tournament that played on a Friday during the day, so they missed a few hours of class. And the state playoffs run all day on a Friday.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Yes, mostly because I have to. I'm not allowed to coach those teams during the HS season (those 13U/10U seasons extend about a month after the HS season ends, so I can be around them then). And, honestly, I'm not sure I can handle 10U. I work better with the older girls. More patience. :)

But "someone I trust" really means "someone who won't do wrist flicks or say 'squish the bug.'"

I think you'll find what you're looking for once you begin to organize the team(s). Just be patient with them. As in, "we don't teach squish the bug and here's why". It works for both teaching coaches and players.

Feb 7, 2013
That totally sucks. If it's a league decision, can the school add some non-league games? Our varsity plays more non-league games than league games (11 and 8). I am amazed at the amount of school they miss for softball (and I'm guessing it's similar for other sports). They leave 45 minutes early for all the road games. They had a tournament that played on a Friday during the day, so they missed a few hours of class. And the state playoffs run all day on a Friday.

They play in the spring so I'm sure they will back fill some non-league games and a few pre-season tourneys in Jan/Feb (as usual) but to go from 15 league games to 10 is a bummer as I generally only get to see the home games which will be 5 now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad