Frustration from a professional softball player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Softball has a long way to go. ESPN doesn't even think it's a sport worth covering yet.

Cricket - yes. X Games - Yes. Something called Chalk. But no Softball section.

sports.jpg

Jan 14, 2015
Softball has a long way to go. ESPN doesn't even think it's a sport worth covering yet.

View attachment 11559

Chalk deals with betting, Hmmm. I also see Little League World Series listed, Hmmm. If you put a betting line on the Softball Championship and have ESPN Radio talk about the line and advertise the prime time showing of the championship I am sure you will get some wagers and some viewers. Networks will see the ratings increase and buy in. Now there's money to be made and spent by the owners. Players will start making money that turns heads, college players will want in, and more teams will be needed because more owners will want a team.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA

Cricket - yes. X Games - Yes. Something called Chalk. But no Softball section.[/ATTACH]

True, but if you click on College Sports the first four stories are about women's sports and three of those are about softball.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

View attachment 11559

Well, that simply isn't true. ESPN is well aware of the game and its draw. But like everything else, someone needs to be willing to pay for the broadcast and that is where the issue lies.

Jan 31, 2011

View attachment 11559

Little off topic #7s Dad, but I like your suggested Favorites... Go Buckeyes! (and Browns too, even though they piss me off)

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Little off topic #7s Dad, but I like your suggested Favorites... Go Buckeyes! (and Browns too, even though they piss me off)

BB, I wish I could take credit, but it's only because my VPN IP is in Ohio. Although I grew up in Ohio and have found memories of the Cardiac Kids, Bernie, etc, in the old stadium; I've been in New England longer and converted when the evil Modell's moved the team away. I still hope the Browns can be restored to greatness one day, but it's not looking good. Even if we give you Jimmy G, it won't be enough. I did enjoy seeing Tito and many former Red Sox players with the Indians in the world series. Would have been a great story if they could have won it!

Tom

Mar 13, 2014
Texas
I get where her frustration comes from, but agree with majority of posts that it has nothing to do with gender and it's all about revenue generation.

IMHO, NPF is missing the mark by continuing to try and go it alone and complain that MLB or networks don't do enough to support them, and are not proactively working to grow the league on a broader scale. An angel investor may be convinced here and there to try to start a franchise, but the reality is the entire NPF model doesn't work and it will take multiple investors to simultaneously start franchises to break the model and create a revenue producing audiences that in turn will drive salaries up. I am a NPF fan, enjoy watching the games live and on TV and truly hope the league survives, but as others have said the reality is very obvious when there are fewer people in the stands than there are for a mid tier college game.

My thought is that this investor group already exists and to my knowledge has not been tapped to invest as a group. Those are the AA MiLB owners. These people have shown that they are willing to invest in a potentially losing play and will promote and work their investment to make it profitable. The NPF franchise fee is ridiculous and prohibitive to them as is, I would imagine. If NPF were to make that more palatable, then AA MiLB owners who already have the infrastructure, marketing/promotion systems, nice facilities (stadiums, training centers, field houses etc.) could potentially add an additional revenue stream to their investment at reasonable up front cost/risk. This probably wouldn't drive player salaries up immediately, but could provide a path to make that happen.

If the NPF (and the current owners) were to offer franchises to the existing 30 AA MiLB teams at no (or expenses only) franchise cost in order to prove a market, I would guess 3-4 may jump in (especially in the fastpitch "hot spots"), and then figure the waived franchise fee could be applied to minimum salary requirement for players to help ensure quality of on field product. The NPF (and current owners) would have to buy into the idea that waiving that fee could eventually put more money in their pockets. Also, I assume most AA teams also have some TV broadcast agreements in local markets (know my market AA does) which will give them a potentially bigger demographic pitch to advertisers as well. The promotion, cross-promotion and added revenue stream possibilities (advertising, gate, concessions, merchandise, etc.) are wide.

Personally, I know if I could go see an NPF game in a decent stadium with better amenities I would be more likely to pay more. If I could see a NPF game and a AA game on one ticket, even better. Could also be a great way to introduce Fastpitch to baseball fans who are coming with preconceived notions of what the game is and the level it's played at. I would guess the cost to open and staff a AA stadium for only a NPF game that would draw 1-2 K at best initially may not make financial sense, so they would have to start with limited amenities and concessions or host games on the same days when the AA team is playing.

If they could prove that market then that could get the attention of the MLB owners and/or other investors who could scale the model nationally, increase gate and total revenue and send salaries trending to point that would allow for at least a living wage for players during the season to start.

I would love to pick Cheri Kempf's brain on this and see if it has been tried.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles