Frustrating start to the summer season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
A bit of an annual rant. DD had her first tournament this weekend of the summer season. We were both very excited about the summer and could not wait til it started. This years team is ripe with potential and has so many talented atheletes. Well, the weekend came and they got beat pretty bad. They are a 16U team and were in the HS division. As some of you are aware, my DD is 14 and plays up. Her team is loaded with HS freshman and sophomores, who all have plenty of varsity experience. It just seemed every pitch that was thrown, the opposition got bat on ball and found a hole. Nothing hit hard, but enough singles that she gave up a few more runs than she would have liked. The team didn't score many runs either. They did not play horrible, just not what was expected. Team ended up losing in the quarter's 2-1 in the ITB. The teams they lost to, ended up in the finals. Just a big let down after having really high expectations. So we are back at it next weekend. Little smaller tournament, so maybe they have more success.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
"Really high expectations" says volumes. I feel your pain. I am in no position to give you any advice but when I start having high expectations as HC I am usually setting myself up for a fall. "Expectations" should not be confused with "confidence." When my team plays the only thing I "expect" is that they will enjoy playing the game because that's usually the only constant. That, plus the coffee from the concession stand will always be awful. Other than that I have no control over the outcome. They will make bad plays, they will make good plays. When I set high expectations on others it suggests that I somehow have control over their behavior. The only thing I can control is how I teach them and make sure I'm constantly learning myself so I am teaching them correctly and not just feeding my ego. I will agree with you, however, that it's frustrating when the other team gets all the "breaks" but I've found that in games like those it's not the better team that wins, it's the team that doesn't make the mistakes that gets the "W." This was their first tournament. They will get it together. Hopefully you didn't blame the team in your talk with DD on the drive home. Good luck!

Jul 9, 2010
The thing that I used to tell my team, and you probably know this, is that in TB, each weekend is a new season. You get to start completely anew, with last tourney's results out of your mind.

I would tell them that we, together, learn each weekend. I learned what I needed to do to put them in a better position to win, and they learned some of the things that they needed to work on. Over the course of the next week, we would, together, work on what we needed.

The burden of expectations is hard to carry, though. If you can look at it as fresh start each time out, it helps a little, I think.

Oct 25, 2009
It always starts like that it seems. I know it can't be that way for all teams because at least about half of them have to win. But it seems to me we always started slow. It takes about 2 or 3 tournaments to come around to their expected potential.

Come to think of it, I wonder if the parents' and coaches' expectations don't change a little during those 3 tournaments.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
It has taken my DD's team until this past weekend to finally play up to their potential.

The previous weekend we couldn't have hit off a tee. This weekend (in a much, much harder tournament) we hit the cover off the ball through the entire lineup. We actually scored more runs per game than we did in total the previous weekend.

I'd say it is because they are a 10U team - but I hear coaches at every age group say something similar.

Apr 16, 2013
It has taken my DD's team until this past weekend to finally play up to their potential.

The previous weekend we couldn't have hit off a tee. This weekend (in a much, much harder tournament) we hit the cover off the ball through the entire lineup. We actually scored more runs per game than we did in total the previous weekend.

I'd say it is because they are a 10U team - but I hear coaches at every age group say something similar.

One thing about this though, hitting is CONTAGIOUS. It's a saying, but it's very true. Since hitting is so mental, as soon as a few kids start hitting, everyone starts hitting. I've seen it so many times from rec to travel that I can't deny it's true!

Apr 11, 2012
That's how it goes sometimes and don't let it bother you too much as anything can happen in one game or one tournament....and unless your DD is throwing in the low to mid 60's, she probably won't be able to blow the ball by some of the more experienced hitters to get that big strike out when she needs it....but that's the beauty of playing up, it allows players the chance to fail against tougher competition and learn how to win those AB battles....and before too long she won't be letting those hitters put the ball in play as much....

We have a first year 16A team that has been playing mostly 18A and 18GOLD teams since last fall....now, those teams having nothing on us and our players believe that they can win any game against any team.....now of course we lose sometimes, but are always competitive and not intimidated by all those junior, seniors and college bound players....

No one can teach a player experience. So keep "chopping wood" and we all will be looking forward to hearing a big successful weekend story soon.....

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Everybody likes to win, but I am a firm believer that teams learn more from losing. Winning has a way of causing players and coaches to "gloss over" the mistakes that were made and the things the team needs to work on to improve. I would prefer to lose a few at the beginning of the season, so we have a better chance of winning at the end of the season - when it counts!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1