Frustrated mom , discouraged daughter please help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2012
Also regarding a her throwing a strike she can do it all day long in practice but she gets nervous (i believe ) with a batter .

Oct 31, 2010
Also regarding a her throwing a strike she can do it all day long in practice but she gets nervous (i believe ) with a batter .

I went through this with my DD this past rec season (she 11 & pitches in the upper 40's as well). It was all about her trusting her mechanics, by the last few games she was looking really good. There was also a post about bribing them which I did, I told her every inning she pitched with correct mechanics I would do push ups. Now the fun part will be to find catcher's who can catch for her in the fall. We are changing leagues and I have seen some good catcher's there, so I'm hopeful.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2012
Please if anyone has leads to pitching coaches or tb teams anywhere in Louisiana send them to me even if they aren't close to me maybe they can refer us to someone else.

Jun 20, 2012
Yes I'll had a great camp that's where she went last year but was unable to attend this year due to conflicting schedules with her current team ( if they miss a game they are not allstar eligible ) . That is also where we had found a coach but ULL has a very extensive practice schedule for their players so we couldn't meet often and she has since transfer to another college.

Jun 20, 2012
Yes finding a cather is also a problem. The 2 we have don't even wear catchers mitt. ( I've only seen 1 in the past 2 years) She has even knocked one onto her butt age's times and the girls cries not to catch for her. By all means i don't want to sound like im bragging on the next world's greatest pitcher but she has such natural speed power and want that i feel like I am letting her down by not giving her the right tools ( pitching coach,team )

Mar 19, 2012
I have also had a similar situation with my daughter pitching faster than her teammates. She has been pulled because it wasn't "fair" to the other team. She has been on teams that the coach didn't like strike-outs and so she was pulled early because she averaged 2 K's an inning. Our main problem with any of this is lack of catcher(s). A poor catcher can make the pitcher look bad. And those dropped 3rd strikes are a killer.

Around here they preach location, location, location....unfortunately, this means they don't teach proper mechanics and we have 10/11 year olds with shoulder problems. I have really struggled with finding a decent PC in my area. I had one coach say she didn't pitch "correctly" because she didn't slide her foot prior to the pitch across the rubber. I know of at least two in the area that actually teach the kids to leap and claim it is legal. Needless to say, I have yet to find one here.

Fortunately, I have found a few people, but they are all at least a couple of hours away. I may not be able to see them quite as often as I'd like but I like the digital age now. I can record and take pictures and send it to them for critique.

As for the not being able to pitch in a game, my DD told me that the batters at first for her were a "distraction." She could pitch just fine until you put someone up there. Now we have her dad stand in the box while I catch. Another thing you could do is to put something in the batters box...a big cardboard box, trash can, something like that. And, I don't know where she is practicing at, but I have found that you also need to make sure she is pitching to a plate. That way she can see where her pitches are going...it helped my DD, especially if we were just in the back yard.

As for league play, we have the option of instructional or competitive play. We are in competitive play now. When she was learning to pitch, we had her in instructional (which wasn't pretty due to her speed, but she wasn't ready for anything else). We would like to play TB, but most of our TB teams in our immediate area are just a group of parents who are friends and wanted their kids to play together. They don't have try outs or anything like that. In addition, the coaches are a bunch of men who are teaching the girls to play like it is baseball, not SB. Nothing against men coaching, when they know how to teach SB. ;) Some teams are so infused with BB that it is now to the point where the HS coach doesn't like it when the girls play TB. We are going to play All-Stars this year as well. I don't know if your area has any of these options. You may want to look at taking her to another close by town for a competitive type of league.

All I can really say, is to keep at it. Find a pitching coach if possible. And just know you aren't the only one who has had to deal with this. You can always come here and find someone who may be able to help.

Dec 9, 2011
I don't know how many times you see mom and dad say there kid is so good and there is problems with coaches. If she is that size and that good you should have no problem with finding her a team. Would be interested in seeing her pitch. Can you place a video on here?

Dec 9, 2011
ok... just asking a question... what mechanics in baseball are different in softball? I understand softball is a quicker, pitching is different but the fielding, hitting portion, catching what specific is differerent... Would love to hear what people think....have been around fastpitch and mens fastpitch and baseball a longggggggg time.... lol And trust me both games have changed alot over the past years..... but sometimes when you hear people say they coach baseball and not softball do they know what there saying? Do they themselves think there is a difference or there just saying something to say something... ok lets see if there is a difference... some or your top coaches played baseball and not softball. Again not trying to start anything just interested in what people thought the difference is... (shoot I'm sorry I guess I should had started a new thread - sorry Jamie)

Jun 20, 2012
I will try to post a video asap. That was actually on my to do list but the camera i have now is not formatting right i can only watch the videos on the camera itself. But maybe if i can get one posted we can start fixing somethings at home while looking for a coach.

Nov 29, 2009
You present some good points, but I strongly disagree with your basic premise. Rec is where she needs to be in order to learn how to pitch.

A pitcher learns how to pitch working on their own with the help of a pitching coach. Facing hitters is where they learn how to be a pitcher. Two very distinct and different actions.

From the sound of it this girl is strong enough to play travel. It's better she learns how to pitch against better hitting. It will make her a better pitcher in the long run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs