Frustrated Lefty

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
My son writes lefty and started throwing and batting lefty but when he was around 8 decided he felt more comfortable throwing and hitting as a righty. Let her do what feels most natural and she'll be more likely to excel and have fun. Force her to play lefty when she's not comfortable with it and it will hurt her game and enjoyment. I seriously doubt her being left handed will limit her opportunities except possibly at the highest levels of competition. You're far more likely to limit her future opportunities by forcing her to use her non-dominant hand.

Nov 8, 2010
Hope you read

NOTE B-4 reading I'm a dad and not a coach, I'm lefty, throw right and bat Rt and Lt. Most inportant golf rt. LOL Anyway
Throwing: 1st thing, over the next few days at least 2 days, 10, 20 50 times. play catch with her. BARE HANDED!! Just tossing the ball to her, watch close. This is important, this must be done with a quick return on her throw back. See what hand is domanite. At 8? (think u said) this should come right out. There is your tell all for how she should throw and catch.

Hitting: I dis-agree with those that say "only" left. If she can do it, let her do it.
It is all about 2 things. 1 rt hand Lt hand dominete and Rt eye vers Lt eye dominite.

Yes, going into the season as we are, stay Rt. in off season then work Lt.

I have a just turned 13 a righty, now 3 years ago started hitting Lt. started to slack on it in the 2 nd year practice only, hit in games 6 times last year out of 68 games, not much.
Coach this year, she asked at practice, tee's, mach, and live. Can I practice left. in 4 mo. this kid is smacking the snot out of the ball. Not just slap eather, hits for power. in two tourney's is carried a 502 Lt and a 390 Rt.
You want to really screw up a pitcher when you have a kid in the # 4 spot, what a gift. There are very few that will try this nor would coaches think about doing this. Work her on each side, (GET HER WITH A REAL HITTING COACH period) and watch just how much all coaches keep an eye on her even as a ave. player. This is huge. At 8, my friend you have, sorry I say she has a gift, use it. There is many coaches with thoughts (college) or studies about Rt and Lt domanation just need to find them. If you would like some leads let me know. I spent hours and thay all said the same thing let the player of what ever sport do both. As a coach said, ARE U KIDDING?? NICE!!!
Good luck let me know what happens.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
My son (who is only 5), showed left handedness at about the age of 3. I bought his first glove and it was for a righty. I then went and bought another that was a lefty. When we bare hand play catch he throws with his right 75% of the time. But he can't catch the ball if he has his glove on his left hand. He throws farther and more accurately with his left and catches better that way as well. We could easily develop the other side with some work. He also bats left. Right now we are working the left side. When he gets a bit older, we will fully develop his right side to make him completely versatile.

Let her lead.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
All this talk about having a switch thrower makes me wonder. Whats the real reason? And whats the real benefit. I had one really bad eye growing up, so as a right handed kid I switched to batting left, because it put my good eye closer to the pitcher. As a result I ended up using the hockey stick lefty and since we had a blade putter I started putting left. We only had right handed clubs so I learned how to golf righty, except for putting. Around 13 I started fooling around putting right handed too, Not to brag, but as a kid I had a hell of a short game. One of the benefits of caddying for 5 years is you really learn how to read greens. Anyway, I could putt better then most with my left side, and just as good as most with my right side, but I didn't become a really good putter, until I stopped fooling around and focused on putting only from one side. I stuck with lefty for putting because of eye dominance. I can still win the occasional beer putting from the right side, but I don't work on it. In fact I tossed out the blade putter so I wouldn't be tempted to switch around.

If you want your kids to the best they can be, find their best side and focus on that. The switching around is a parlor act for 99.999% of those who do it.

Feb 16, 2010
My 13 YO DD is a lefty. When she was younger and just starting to play she didn't always like being the different one. As she has gotten older she has embraced it and loves being a lefty. Especially when coaches would perk up and express more interest in her when discovering she was a lefty. Express to your DD that being a lefty makes her special in a good way, and not a negative one. As mentioned earlier, use the "mirror" technique to teach her drills and work with her. I find it is an advantage when working with my daughter. We can stand facing eachother and she can mimic what I do perfectly. If your DD already writes and eats with her left hand I would continue working with her as a lefty. If she grows up to become a pitcher or is a natural hitter she will be in demand as a lefty. Just don't force one hand or the other on her for an advantage in a sport. Go with the hand she appears to favor in everyday life.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles