Front stride foot lands further away from the plate than it starts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 29, 2019
My daughter is front foot consistently lands further away from the plate than when it starts which leads to not being able to cover the outside of the plate. I've put things behind it to make her land at toe touch correctly but outside of that is there drills or more ways to help her correct it and step straight towards the pitcher? Ive had her try starting a little closed but I know that's not a fix... Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Aug 20, 2017
So many things can cause this:
-rushing the sequence
- lack of pull back
- posture issues
- hip coil issues
Post a video if possible and you will get some great feedback!

Starting closed is most likely gonna make this issue worse. It’s a mechanical flaw that needs to be addressed.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
1) front foot consistently lands further away from the plate

2) I've put things behind it to make her land at toe touch correctly

3) Ive had her try starting a little closed but I know that's not a fix

1) she is coiling OUT with her hips and shoulder as she strides forward, vs coiling in.

2) and 3) I can save you years of time. I have tried all that and more. They wont fix the problem, and they will usually break other things.

The only fix, and the simplest fix is to coil inward as you stride. Get in front of a mirror, with a wiffle bat, and exaggerate coiling inward both shoulders and both hips 30-40 degrees, as you stride forward. For practice, hold it all the way to landing. In real life, you will begin to uncoil an inch from landing, and will be back to even.

It's very simple to do. Very simple. Don't over-complicate it.

posey-coil-stride-catcher-view.gif

Apr 29, 2019
1) she is coiling OUT with her hips and shoulder as she strides forward, vs coiling in.

2) and 3) I can save you years of time. I have tried all that and more. They wont fix the problem, and they will usually break other things.

The only fix, and the simplest fix is to coil inward as you stride. Get in front of a mirror, with a wiffle bat, and exaggerate coiling inward both shoulders and both hips 30-40 degrees, as you stride forward. For practice, hold it all the way to landing. In real life, you will begin to uncoil an inch from landing, and will be back to even.

It's very simple to do. Very simple. Don't over-complicate it.

posey-coil-stride-catcher-view.gif
Thank you for the helpful information we will definitely use it and work on this!

Sep 29, 2014
My daughter is front foot consistently lands further away from the plate than when it starts which leads to not being able to cover the outside of the plate. I've put things behind it to make her land at toe touch correctly but outside of that is there drills or more ways to help her correct it and step straight towards the pitcher? Ive had her try starting a little closed but I know that's not a fix... Any help is appreciated. Thank you
Instead of starting more closed to compensate have you tried making her start more open (kinda exagerated) even maybe just as a drill if she starts open she can't go even more open she would be facing third base (assuming righty). It will force her to step "into" the pitch toward the pitcher. Maybe she can then get a feel for proper alignment. What age are we talking about? should really iron this out kinda early, sometimes though if you are 10U and pitchers are wild kids really don't wanna get hit and its subconscious, by 14U when kids really have control girls really should be at the plate with the mentality that they are going to crush the ball.

May 21, 2014
Instead of starting more closed to compensate have you tried making her start more open (kinda exagerated) even maybe just as a drill if she starts open she can't go even more open she would be facing third base (assuming righty). It will force her to step "into" the pitch toward the pitcher. Maybe she can then get a feel for proper alignment. What age are we talking about? should really iron this out kinda early, sometimes though if you are 10U and pitchers are wild kids really don't wanna get hit and its subconscious, by 14U when kids really have control girls really should be at the plate with the mentality that they are going to crush the ball.

We have used this in the past with some success.
But I will say “stepping in the bucket” isn’t necessarily a “no-no”.
Move her back foot in to the plate until her toe touches the chalk. Tell her she can step in the bucket as long as the back foot starts that close that way she can still cover the plate. This forces them to either:
A: start in this position and keeps them focused on being fast to the inside pitch. This will really help them drive this pitch.
B: they will realize they don’t like being this close to the plate and fix the stepping out.

May 12, 2016
A lot of times this happens because the kid is afraid of the ball. I can only speak from experience, going to no stride has helped a lot of kids that I had to pleasure to work with, they have no option to step in the bucket. You still want to remained coiled into toe touch(what efastball said above).

By no means am I saying that the other advice offered is not valid, just sharing my experience. Once the kid got more comfortable, they could go back to a stride if desired.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12