Front side resistance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2016
She started with a new pc less then a year ago and a lot of what has been said has been an issue. She has been opening too early which makes her too closed at release and the posture has been something she has been working on for awhile. She looks good in drills but in full pitch goes back to having the bend. I think it’s just Years of her previous pc allowing bad mechanics. I’m going to get some video at her lesson and attempt to load it on here. A lot of what I’m hearing is the same thing she hears at her lesson but I figure any extra advise could help. She throws around 54-55 right now but I figure if we could correct some of this that she could throw even a little harder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2014
She started with a new pc less then a year ago and a lot of what has been said has been an issue. She has been opening too early which makes her too closed at release and the posture has been something she has been working on for awhile. She looks good in drills but in full pitch goes back to having the bend. I think it’s just Years of her previous pc allowing bad mechanics. I’m going to get some video at her lesson and attempt to load it on here. A lot of what I’m hearing is the same thing she hears at her lesson but I figure any extra advise could help. She throws around 54-55 right now but I figure if we could correct some of this that she could throw even a little harder.

It's actually encouraging that her PC is telling her the same things sounds like you might have a good one....we probably are not all wrong. Now it's just a matter a repetitions with the correct mechanics, if she is doing it correctly during drills have her keep doing them, then do some full motion pitching if she reverts back to bad habit, go back to more drills, try not to let her do too many full motion pitching with the bad mechanics if possible...gotta break the bad habits somehow

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Quoted from Java's Drive Mechanics Thread
It’s a gradual process, and small, properly timed increases in motion/energy should be the goal. “Rome wasn’t built in a day.” Build a foundation of coordinated and controlled body movements, and then – and only then – build on them.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
I like the "grow taller" cue. It helps with FSR but will also help with posture you can't grow taller if you are bending over ;)
I like the "grow taller" cue as well. Check out Sarah's posture and how she is growing taller, reference the white siding on building right behind her head. Pay close attention to her stride leg hip from 9 to 7. I believe this may be some help to better posture as well as other things.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket

You can see here how she is allowing the drive to sink into the hip and be transferred on to the arm. Not lost in a bent knee

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Been working on front side resistance with dd. When she focuses on it and does her pitching motion without a ball. She does good but when goes to full motion goes back to having a bend at release. Are there any specific drills we can do at home to help with this. When she has good posture, she has a nice increase in her speed. It’s just trying to break that bad muscle memory. This seems to be the hardest thing for her at her lessons.

What are the cues, instruction for FSR in a typical practice. Does her posture improve without a catcher, throwing into a net or tarp?

Jun 14, 2016
I usually tell her to stand up straight and to even over exaggerate. Her pc tells her to keep her head up and push her shoulders back. She has a tendency to crunch forward at release. If she focuses especially with drills at home, she does better.

Jun 14, 2016
I usually tell her to stand up straight and to even over exaggerate. Her pc tells her to keep her head up and push her shoulders back. She has a tendency to crunch forward at release. If she focuses especially with drills at home, she does better.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Some cues I like:
-Squeeze the knees (thighs) into release
-Crack the walnut (I don’t use this. "Tighten the glutes" is the same.)
-Pull the imaginary string tight from the mouth to the toes.
-Pull the imaginary string from the mouth to the belt at release.
-Get tall at release.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2016
I actually heard her pc tell her at her lesson tonight to squeeze her knees into release. Going to have to use some of these at home.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414