Front side resistance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2016
Yes, I️ show her that video of ananda Scarborough so she can see how she should look with correct posture. Should she work more on her release point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 28, 2017
Looks like her brush is out of wack due to her upper arm being way out front. This will make slicing pitches almost impossible to achieve correct spin and axis.
Her posture appears to be in a "slamming closed" approach rather than a transfer of energy and kinetic approach.
I'd bet a former PC was all about getting open??? She needs to learn adduction of the arms and legs, as well as really stopping her body. Combo this with an adjustment of the arms (I call it skinny and deep elbows)
PM sent

Can you explain slicking pitches? Thanks.

Sep 29, 2014
Yes, I️ show her that video of ananda Scarborough so she can see how she should look with correct posture. Should she work more on her release point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would actually do the posture first...without hunching over I think she won't be able to hold on to the ball as long, it will just feel too awkward. If you just look at the picture and had her upper body straight at that point her arm would be even further in front and she would be throwing the ball over the catchers head...I think given the correct posture you will see her release point come back closer to where it should be.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
In my opinion, while a pitcher's posture at the moment of release is of interest, I'm especially interested what's happening to shoulders, posture, connection, and front-side resistance between 10:00 and release (right-handed pitcher).

Also, I'm guessing that her shoulders have over-rotated (i.e., rotated more than her hips) as she releases the ball. I'd like to see upstream to see what might be causing this. Why? Because I think THAT is one of the main contributors to the posture problem we see in the picture.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Looks like her brush is out of wack due to her upper arm being way out front. This will make slicing pitches almost impossible to achieve correct spin and axis.
Her posture appears to be in a "slamming closed" approach rather than a transfer of energy and kinetic approach.
I'd bet a former PC was all about getting open??? She needs to learn adduction of the arms and legs, as well as really stopping her body. Combo this with an adjustment of the arms (I call it skinny and deep elbows)
PM sent

This part is tough, at least it has been for my dd. Whether it be a lean, or missing out on some whip. How do you guys think front side resistance ties in with adduction? Once you hit, to remain stacked, does adduction at the right time help alleviate some of the momentum?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2015
It has helped my dd to imagine that when the front foot hits she needs to "grow" (get taller) instead of just allowing that foot to catch her weight. I also wonder if she is opening too much or particularly too early. Her back leg/hip seem to lag behind somewhat, which can make consistent brush difficult to impossible. If you have pics from directly in front or behind does her upper body and head appear to lean/tilt to her right? If so, she may be making an effort (consciously or not) to clear her hips out of the way of her arm, or it may just be a result of her hips opening too soon/too much.
One exercise that has helped my dd with her front side resistance is the walk/run through. Also, pitching on a slight decline can help create the sensation of pushing back with the front leg.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Can you explain slicking pitches? Thanks.
Slicing pitches.... This is your rise, curve or screw. In these pitches, we're trying not to internally rotate prior to release, where on a fb or db the IR is a huge part of the snap over.

This is a FSR thread, however resistance is a total body effort, and must be applied with the hips/core, upper body, upper arm and not just limited to the front leg.
Legends dd appears to be missing the stabilization of her upper body and upper arm into her ribs, as this is a key point of resistance when enhancing spin, speed, and control. She looks to be forcing a release by emphasizing her shoulder and upper body in an attempt to really throw smoke. However in reality, this is very counterproductive. She should be stopping her hips and shoulders from over rotating, and in this firm, stacked body, the arms and legs pull into each other.

The point Romrell made is extremely valid in that this is a chain reaction, and we are only seeing the release, and not all the links leading up to this point.
High level pitching is a ton of small details that must be executed in a specific sequence. This is the challenge, learning the sequences as efficient and powerful as possible. We really need to see a clip, or possibly a ton of pics of her throughout the entire sequence. This way we can establish her timing and sequencing.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
It has helped my dd to imagine that when the front foot hits she needs to "grow" (get taller) instead of just allowing that foot to catch her weight. I also wonder if she is opening too much or particularly too early. Her back leg/hip seem to lag behind somewhat, which can make consistent brush difficult to impossible. If you have pics from directly in front or behind does her upper body and head appear to lean/tilt to her right? If so, she may be making an effort (consciously or not) to clear her hips out of the way of her arm, or it may just be a result of her hips opening too soon/too much.
One exercise that has helped my dd with her front side resistance is the walk/run through. Also, pitching on a slight decline can help create the sensation of pushing back with the front leg.

I like the "grow taller" cue. It helps with FSR but will also help with posture you can't grow taller if you are bending over ;)

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles