Front Knee Bend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 12, 2014
My DD has developed a real issue with not keeping her front leg straight. On pretty much any pitch below the waist, she's bending her front leg (and back leg) trying to get down to it instead of letting the bat's length do the job. Any ideas on drills or other advice for how to address this would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
My DD has developed a real issue with not keeping her front leg straight. On pretty much any pitch below the waist, she's bending her front leg (and back leg) trying to get down to it instead of letting the bat's length do the job. Any ideas on drills or other advice for how to address this would be greatly appreciated.

Does she understand that the angle of her shoulder will change depending on the height of the pitch? That is, she must tilt more on lower pitches?

Oct 25, 2009
Set a tee (or traffic cone) low enough that the ball is even or below the knee. Place the tee directly across from the belly button. Have her reach the ball with tilt instead of her front knee bending. Insist on line drives from the position and tee placement stated. Occasional rising fly balls are ok—grounds balls are not ok. She will have to swing from the back hip—don't adjust the tee to fit her swing; she must adjust to fit the ball location.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

What I picture here is a young girl that doesn't know how to use her body properly, lacks a good sequence and doesn't understand the usage of her hands.

There is a thread going on currently titled "Swing Sequence". A good understanding of the "swing sequence" would be a good place to start. Then again, sometimes a title of something can be deceiving.

That said ... Amy's post to you above was spot on. A video would allow folks to mark it up and help you move forward. The advice would be specifically targeted towards your daughter ... otherwise, folks are guessing, and many prefer to spend their time working on issues that don't rely on guessing ... mainly because when folks give advice based on guessing, they are writing about something totally irrelevant and not spending their time as wisely as they wish.

Oct 14, 2008
Without seeing a vid its just a swag. One thing I see alot from kids that do not have a strong front side. Is that they contuie to move their upper body past their center of gravity after contact. After her completed swing have her freeze like a statue. Pull back on her shoulders until her head is above her hip. Not out over her toes And you will start to notice the front leg begins to straighten out. Do that a few times so she can feel what she is trying to accomplish. Then take a few dry slow swings off a tee.

Let her swing away. Wash rinse repeat.

Apr 24, 2012
like this?
Baez_side_HR_zpsb8317c83.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck