From control to command?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 25, 2011
Yes, for my daughter it was 3 pitches on the outside of the plate to rhb, that was the challenge. Took her almost 20 minutes to put 3 in a row there. She didn't exactly feel like she made a big stride in getting it finally, but she did persevere, which for me shows heart, which is definitely what I want from players... (even though it's just a word ;) ).....

May 18, 2009
Would you teach a new pitch to beginning pitchers before they've mastered a fastball? I want my youngest to learn a change up but I don't consider her to have mastered the fastball. In fact most girls I see throwing change ups haven't mastered anything yet but they are working on other pitches and getting better with the amount of time they've been on the mound. I think age is a huge factor.

Mar 25, 2011
Once she has started to develop a rythym on the delivery of the fastball, and is in shape mechanically, I'd start practicing the change up. Now which change up is what should be considered. Change up doesn't twist the elbow, and so, it's a 'safe' pitch. It also remains very true mechanically, so it reinforces mechanics, and doesn't change them. Curves, screws, rises, they should appear the same, but many girls start moving their bodies to make the spin....and then start breaking mechanics.

As I watch the games this weekend, I sure see the top pitchers having hips very closed at release. Cal and UK pitchers both stay open very well all the way through release. They are both a bit more slender than a few of the other top pitchers who are closing early. It would seem strength has won out over today's staying open mechanical concept... Although Hal mentioned just getting to 52 degrees I think is sufficiently open, but these girls sure look closed at release.

May 7, 2008
I have been reading everyone's comments on the importance of the pitcher learning how to command each pitch to go where they intend to throw it. But none of you have talked about how a pitcher controls the pitch or what they do to make the ball go inside, or outside, high or low. As Sluggers said, this can take years to perfect, but it will always take longer if you do not have an idea of what to tell your pitcher to help her "figure it out" and develop the muscle memory necessary. I often ask pitchers to describe to me the mental process, prior to the pitch, they go through when asked to throw inside of outside. Is it wishful thinking on their part, pure will and desire? Or is it something else that is tangible they do to help them achieve their immediate goal. Through the years I have come to realize that those who are most successful at commanding their pitches actually have some idea as to why pitches go where they go. Those that are not usually answer the question with an "I don't know". I call it the theory of tangents. A tangent is a straight line that passes a circle touching it at one point. Picture the arm circle as the circle that will have two tangent lines intersecting it. Both lines will be traveling parallel to the straight line of force from the pitcher to the strike zone. One tangent will emanate from the elbow and one will come from the hand. If the tangent lines are projected at the moment of release, one can predict accurately where the ball is going to travel. If the lines are directly over each other the pitch will travel straight ahead along the line created by the hand. If the elbow tangent is inside the line of the hand tangent ( to the left on a right handed pitchers release) the ball will move to the right or inside on a right handed hitter. Conversely, if the hand tangent line is inside the elbow tangent on release, ( to the left of the elbow on a right handed pitcher), then the ball will move towards the outside on a right handed hitter. This of course is assuming that nothing else changes like stride direction. I have used this method with many of my pitchers with very impressive results. Keep in mind that the adjustments are subtle and the difference between inside the hand and outside the hand elbow tangent is relatively small. Combine this with the correct release point and a pitcher can control the location in, out, up and down, combining them when necessary. Train the pitcher to move their hand and elbow and you will see the success rate of their command go up drastically.

Mar 25, 2011
For a very basic method of control... if you stride directly down your power line, that should equate to an inside pitch (rhb). Move left about a half inch, right down the middle (not a pitch anyone wants to throw)... and 1/2 inch more to the left of the power line is an outside pitch. For us, it's pretty much that basic. The arm, the hands, the body, nothing changes... grip, nope. That small of an adjustment is really tough for a batter to pick up too. Then, any spin will amplify that, but for now, just fastball/change up...once we have confidence in those, we will work towards command.

As stated a bit ago, that outside pitch seems to fluster my dd. But, we have really started to break it down in a different light. I tell her to throw me an inside pitch but stride left of her power line. It is what she has always known, but that simple word play seems to be having a positive effect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCsDad