Frequency of force outs at high levels

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Scenario: Power 5-level college game. Runner at first. Less than two outs. Ground ball ...

If you had to guess, how often is there going to be a force at second base for each of the 5 infield positions? And how often will the runner advance to second on the out? Is it 50/50? Is it 70% runner advance? And how does it differ by position.

I don't know the answer, but I have some clues. Below is data from the past 8 WCWS.

The left number is the # of ground outs retired at first from each position. For example, ,the shortstop retired a batter 6-3 on 208 occasions. The SS retired a runner at second for a fielder's choice 35 times.

But unfortunately, I don't know how many of those 208 assists occurred with no runner at first, or 2 outs.

(P.S.: I know some will be tempted to say ''it depends - How hard was the grounder hit? Was there a hit and run?'' But that's part of the guesswork.)

P - 160/21
1B - 109/8 (includes unassisted outs at first)
2B - 272/35 (perhaps surprisingly, the second baseman has the most assists to first)
SS - 208/46
3B - 214/42

Jun 8, 2016
Are you trying to use the answers to make some point about strategy/coaching/etc because if so it would probably be more fruitful to post the motivation for the post and get some discussion going about that.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Are you trying to use the answers to make some point about strategy/coaching/etc because if so it would probably be more fruitful to post the motivation for the post and get some discussion going about that.

Not about coaching/strategy. I'm creating a dice game (for fun, not profit) that simulates college softball and want to be as accurate as I can. But I didn't want to confess that for fear it would discourage the coaches who might be motivated to post for the sake of discussing strategy. For example, some coaches believe in being conservative and taking the simpler out. Plus, who creates a dice game (for fun) that simulates college softball? It's kinda embarrassing. :)

Jun 8, 2016
Plus, who creates a dice game (for fun) that simulates college softball? It's kinda embarrassing. :)
For what its worth, as somebody who played a decent amount of strat-o-matic 30+ years ago, I think it is cool ;) I have no idea the actual numbers but it would be less for the corner IF for sure... 🤷‍♂️

Mar 4, 2015
New England
For what its worth, as somebody who played a decent amount of strat-o-matic 30+ years ago, I think it is cool ;) I have no idea the actual numbers but it would be less for the corner IF for sure... 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, I've rolled a few games of strat-o-matic and APBA. Always loved the concept of a simulation, whether it was sports or something else. Softball's never been done in any serious way. Not that what I'm doing is that serious. But I believe I can recreate some of the historic teams and players in the sport, and it's been fun learning through the research I've done.

As for as which infielders have the most forceouts, it appears that 3B to 2B is more common than 2B to SS. But SS might get more 4-3 double plays where she tags the runner going to second.

May 23, 2015
How many of those outs at first came when a hit and run was called? How many on attempted steals?

May 23, 2015
What you're going to find is that parents and kids typically have no idea what good training really is. They also don't care for the most part. The kids want to be associated with a particular organization more than anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish